Hi-De-Hi! closing credits

Does anyone know what they were saying to the camera in the closing credits? Were they scripted? Fred Quilly always had something to say and had trouble trying to making his point.

Sorry I can't answer that, but it did remind me that when I was young we stayed at Warners Holiday Camp in Dovercourt Bay where they filmed some of it. http://www.butlinsmemories.com/warners/camplist.htm
I've just checked and it's been flattened and turned into a housing estate. :( More importantly I've realised that I used to go on holidays to Essex which is just down the road!!! 

I need a word with my parents. While other kids went abroad all I got was a trip to Essex and leftover bunting from Hi-De-Hi!.   Angry

Quote: The Rook @ 9th April 2009, 1:01 PM BST

Does anyone know what they were saying to the camera in the closing credits? Were they scripted? Fred Quilly always had something to say and had trouble trying to making his point.

Most of them just smile into the camera which makes sense. Quilly on the other hand seems to be shouting and swearing at the audience. Very strange.

Often wondered, and tried to make what he was mouthing.

Do we have a lip-reader on this board?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2015, 9:26 PM GMT

Most of them just smile into the camera which makes sense. Quilly on the other hand seems to be shouting and swearing at the audience. Very strange.

Apparently he was warning the public about Jammy Saville but the BBC deliberately covered his words up with the closing music.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2015, 9:26 PM GMT

I understand Felix Bowness was also the studio audience warm-up act, so I'm guessing his seemingly antagonistic appearance in the credits is of some relation to this and other jokes he'd made during the evening.

Quote: Jane P @ 9th April 2009, 11:37 PM BST

Sorry I can't answer that, but it did remind me that when I was young we stayed at Warners Holiday Camp in Dovercourt Bay where they filmed some of it. http://www.butlinsmemories.com/warners/camplist.htm I've just checked and it's been flattened and turned into a housing estate. :( More importantly I've realised that I used to go on holidays to Essex which is just down the road!!! 

I need a word with my parents. While other kids went abroad all I got was a trip to Essex and leftover bunting from Hi-De-Hi!.   Angry

My widowed mum took all us three kids to Butlin's and we loved it. The long-bulldozed Clacton Camp, replete with its ferris wheel and L-shaped swimming pool was fantastic.

Back to Hi-De-Hi, which I'll need to rent from series one onwards, I always thought that Mr Partridge was creepy and that Barry was 'good with colours'.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 2:02 PM GMT

I always thought...that Barry was 'good with colours'.

Same here, when I started watching the show I thought he is a Beaumont/Humphries-like character, typical for a Croft-sitcom.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th March 2015, 2:32 PM GMT

Same here, when I started watching the show I thought he is a Beaumont/Humphries-like character, typical for a Croft-sitcom.

He is the equivalent character, but it's done far more subtly than in other Croft sitcoms and left as an open question rather than as resolutely answered as Mr Humphries. Is he simply very effeminate, or is he gay and in a marriage of convenience?

Of course he does eventually walk out on Yvonne. Make of that what you will...

Quote: Aaron @ 8th March 2015, 1:53 PM GMT

I understand Felix Bowness was also the studio audience warm-up act, so I'm guessing his seemingly antagonistic appearance in the credits is of some relation to this and other jokes he'd made during the evening.

Is there no one on this board can lip read and tell us what he is saying? Pondered this for years. :S

Quote: Aaron @ 8th March 2015, 3:31 PM GMT

He is the equivalent character, but it's done far more subtly than in other Croft sitcoms and left as an open question rather than as resolutely answered as Mr Humphries. Is he simply very effeminate, or is he gay and in a marriage of convenience?

Wasn't Yvonne a man in drag though?

Erm... No?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 5:16 PM GMT

Wasn't Yvonne a man in drag though?

"Ouch!"

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th March 2015, 5:45 PM GMT

"Ouch!"

I immediately retract my earlier bitchy comment. I have now sent myself to my room to and I quote 'think how my actions can hurt others.'

Quote: Aaron @ 8th March 2015, 3:31 PM GMT

It took me two or three series before I realised they were a married couple. Was that fact made clear right from the start (with me just being inattentive) or was that an idea worked in late into the show? From that point on I thought Barry had a late coming out with the marriage now being a farce. I was wrong again.