Binding

It won't be long now until I'm ready to start submitting my stuff to people. Is there a preferred way of binding the pages together. Staples? Paper clip? Them paper fasteners that you used to use at school to make things with moving parts that, despite your best efforts, always ended up looking pretty crappy? Or should I just leave the pages loose? Is there a definitive answer?

Most prefer loose, some ask for a single clip in one corner. But loose is the norm. Send it like that and you won't upset them greatly.

Loose is the norm? I thought that was a big no-no, because pages can end up getting lost.

Yep, loose has been my experience. They like them loose to photocopy and turn over easily (ah, the poor readers). Plus if they knock the slush pile over it's an excuse to get the form rejection slips out. When I've enquired, very few places have asked me for binding or clips. But they usually advise page numbers at the top or bottom plus writer's name and title on each sheet.

What about anyone else? Experience?

Paper fasteners, you know those bronze things. WH Smiths will probably have them.

I'd have thought hole punched in the corner with those green string and metal things would be best. Easy to take off if necessary.

Yeah, I always punch a hole in the top left hand corner and put a peper fastener through; thats what Ive always been led to believe is most production companies preferred binding.

matthew stotts suggestion of a peper fastner is good, but i personnally think that them green stringy things are best, what a invention they were, i bet that man or woman is rich now,

Anyone got a picture of these green stringy things?

i found one a minute ago, it was ow so sexy, i could just stare at all day, i just wanted to feel, it and touch it, ow crap, i just have to go and get a tissue.

Perhaps the lack of fastening explains the Slagg Brothers' phenomenal lack of success with scripts. That and them being crap.

I think they're called treasury tags.

is it worth a new forum, the treasury tags appreciation forum, you'll be inedated with a post, i remember binding my gcse coursework in english together, ow my and that tag had some good times you shouldn't eat them if you have constipaion and need to ease the flow a bit, they are very binding (before you judge and go "ow that is just bad" i recognise it was a bad pun and i now accept that instead of apologising for the bad, un-funny pun it would have been quicker to delete it)

Quote: lewisroberts @ April 11, 2007, 9:18 PM

i personnally think that them green stringy things are best

Green stringy things are good although I've only ever found them really appreciated by actors for script readings. Alternatively, the single staple is ideal for scripts of several pages but for anything more, I've always found a professionally bound manuscript – and for professional what I really mean is a trip down to Staples - with a window cover and acetate page works best for me.

I only know about the book business (and very little about that) but they never want any binding or fastening of any kind. Name, title and page number on each sheet like the good Sir Slag says.