How to write... book.

So I was looking on Amazon and other good online retailers for a "How to write a sit-com book". Because I clearly need some help 'n direction. But there are quite a few to choose from and I was hoping you lot could suggest some and/or do they even help?

I've got Marc Blake's book. It's really good and has helped me loads.

Me too. Little orange fella.
But I've not read any others, so i can't compare and contrast.

That's the one I've been leaning to, it's only about £4, bargain!

... anyone lend us £4?

Go into Borders and nick it*. It's a handy pocket size!

* don't, like.

How to make money fast - by Robin Banks.

If you go into the 'new and used' section on Amazon, you can get it* for £1.88!

* Marc Blake's book, not Robin Banks'! ;)

Nice one earman. I'd be rather cautious of something used from the internet. I used to subscribe to all those DVD rentals (all the free trials that is ;)) Until one day I opened a dvd box to find a nasty suprise... the dirty, dirty bastards!

Marc Blake as mentioned. I got a lot of useful feedback from his critique consultancy too. Also, Writing Sitcoms by John Byrne and Marcus Powell was worth the read in my view.

Thanks Steve and everyone else. If I'm going to check out quite a few books, I suppose I could go to the library, do they still exist?

FYI - readers might like to check out the books page in our writers area for some reviews of the books mentioned above as well as some more info.

If you've read a helpful (or rubbish) book relating to comedy writing which isn't on our page send us a review and we'll add it!

I've got the Marc Blake one, very useful as is his critique service. I buy most of my stuff from Amazon and usually click on the 'new and used' bit, you can get stuff for really cheap on there and I've never had any problems.

I also got the Marc Blake book on the advice of this site and I have found it immensely helpful. It was just what I needed. Go on, dip your hand in your pocket!

I've recently read Evan Smith's 'Writing Television Sitcoms'. It's geared towards the American sitcom market so the last third of it is pretty irrelevant but the first two sections are excellent and very straightforward to understand.

A book I've been told to read by someone in the know is The Pitch by Eileen Quinn. Explains how to pitch your ideas to TV execs (amongst other people) and is *very* useful.

Let me try this book covers and sales link thing that Aaron was talking about...

See Amazon product listing [p=http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/894813/The_Pitch/Product.html]

Woohoo! It works!

Dan

Thanks I finally got around to buying Marc Blake's book though. That's my pocket money gone for the weekend :P