Funny nations?

Outside of the UK of course, who are the funniest people on this planet?

I think the yanks have some fantastically good comedy writers and individuals but with the population they have I guess they should going on the law of averages alone. On top of that some of our American friends are funny without realising it.

I think the Aussies have a lot of good comedians as of course do the Irish. Perhaps there ARE a load of German funny folk out there and the myth about them is totally unfounded!?

Just got me thinking that's all.

Andy W

Not a clue never met a funny French man, I sure they exist but I cant think of any of top of my head. I'd have to side with stars and stripes for just volume of output plus some of their stuff have been global sucessess

Canada!
They're practically English anyway.

Ireland, US and Canada. And the odd Aussie.

The funniest Frenchmen were the gits that bitched about the UK leaving them at Dunkirk and then whined that De Gaulle should lead his 'victorious army' into Paris as the liberators of France. The French were chopping and changing more times than a lumberjack pantomime. In the end, they didn't know which flags they should be hanging out of which window. Yep, there were some good eggs (le resistance were an independent amatuer dramatic society undermining fascism through the power of Dadaism and expressionistic mime) but mostly they get me laughing every time I think of the irony of a Frenchman with a loyalty card.

Funny germans? Didn't a german scientist isolate the gene for humour and have it racially purified out of existence?

Very good Slag.

The trouble is we're very insular really and being the superior nation we are, we don't - or wouldn't understand anything not in English.

I agree with the Aussies though - Kath & Kim being excellent.

The Scots and the Irish. They win hands down.
Oh but if i have to go out of the UK
The Germans. Esp. when they are on holiday. Wind them up and they go forever.
I lived in Germany for a year and they are fabulous peeps in their own country. Take them out and OMG!!!! Cuckoo.

Ich spreche das gute deutsche getrunkene wheni morgens

Thankyou bye.

I havent seen kath & kim actually i havent seen any aussie sit-coms but their stand-up isn't bad, obviously the americans can do good comedy, so can ireland, there is a very popular argentinian stand-up who is south americas equivilent of Billy connoly, i have watched a few of his performances but i didn't get many of his jokes, mainly because he talks in some mambo jambo language but i still found myself cracking up at how weird he sounded. Also south africa has some good comic output, especially stand up.

I live with a very funny french man but we laugh at him rather than with him, you have to hear him say no and sauce, hes going to be the new crazy frog.

If Ireland can't be included i'd have to say Americans are the funniest. That whole axis of evil thing made me piss myself. The Australians are ok but surprisingly considering they have an all white immigration policy they don't have many jewish comedians (who are bloody funny). In fact if the Jews had a country i would say that was the funniest but I can't see that happening.

I can't see a problem with nominating Jews as they are considered by many (and themselves) as a nation without borders. Much like the muslim or chinese diaspora.

Quote: SlagA @ April 10, 2007, 10:31 AM

I can't see a problem with nominating Jews as they are considered by many (and themselves) as a nation without borders. Much like the muslim or chinese diaspora.

Nice use of the word 'Diaspora' - you been swallowing the dictionary again Mr A?

You witnessed an OU course working its way through my system.

I noticed recently that other displaced or voluntarily dispersed groups are trying to wrestle the word away from its original meaning. I hang my head in shame for adding to the problem.

:$

I'm still trying to get the word 'flockynockynihilipilification' into a gag or post.

Hold on, I've just managed it.

Woohoo.

Quote: ajp29 @ April 10, 2007, 7:07 AM

In fact if the Jews had a country i would say that was the funniest but I can't see that happening.

Ooooh, controversial!

Quote: Andy W. @ April 10, 2007, 10:50 AM

I'm still trying to get the word 'flockynockynihilipilification' into a gag or post.

That's a brilliant word! But what does it mean?

(Google is failing me. Grrr!)

Hi Aaron - please forgive my earlier spelling - was taking my best stab at it at the time of posting.

Correct spelling is 'Floccinaucinihilipilification'

And it loosely means "The action or habit of judging something to be worthless."

Cheers,

Andy W

NB: I do also like the even longer 'Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis' which is a noun standing for 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust'. However, not only can I not properly pronounce this word it just doesn't seem as funny as one that starts off with the sounds of Flocky Nocky!