http://c4talent.illumina.co.uk/4talent-extra/coming-up/index.shtml

What do we look for?

# Bold ideas
# Strong voices
# Originality
# Ambition
# Wit
# Urgency
# Films that push boundaries in a way that wouldn't / couldn't be done in mainstream drama

They say that, but why do they always end up with complete and utter gash?

Because they're Channel 4. Utter gash is what they do these days. (With the odd exception).

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 6 2009, 2:47 PM GMT

Because they're Channel 4. Utter gash is what they do these days. (With the odd exception).

Red Riding last night; could hardly believe it was from Channel 4
- that's surely gotta come under your 'With the odd exception'?

Exactly what I meant. Red Riding is the very odd exception of something very good on Ch4.

Yeah, I saw this on writersoom.

Hopefully, C4 are going to return to their "gritty" roots.

I've already planned a half hour script for this, and I'll be writing it over the next few days.

'Utter Gash'

A sketch-show concept for Leigh Francis right there.

Quote: Flaner @ March 6 2009, 3:00 PM GMT

'Utter Gash'

A sketch-show concept for Leigh Francis right there.

Don't tempt the bastard!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 6 2009, 3:02 PM GMT

Don't tempt the bastard!

Leigh has further developed the idea. Now he plays a german character called Üter Gash, who is involved in many hilarious cultural mis-understandings.

Quote: Flaner @ March 6 2009, 3:50 PM GMT

Leigh has further developed the idea. Now he plays a german character called Üter Gash, who is involved in many hilarious cultural mis-understandings.

How about an Arab character called Al Jazeera?

LINK > > > Bigley's Head Revisited

Quote: Morrace @ March 6 2009, 4:34 PM GMT

How about an Arab character called Al Jazeera?

Bigley's Head Revisited

And a guy from Switzerland called 'Swiss Ton...

DAMN!

It says you have to show exceptional skills in both writing and directing?

So I'm guessing it is not enough to just send a script along? (I know I should read over the guidelines in full)

They're asking for:
"Films that push boundaries in a way that wouldn't / couldn't be done in mainstream drama"

They must have seen Clint Eastwood's new film: Gran Torino, because there's not a TV prodco in the world that would have touched this script with a bargepole. Saw it two days ago. Hugely, hugely, enjoyable.

If you're thinking of producing similar work that comments on the unprecedented global mass migration of peoples that has happened over the past decade or so, take a look at this brilliant film on how it should be done. It's taking huge money at the box office, making some Oscar winners nervously examine their laurels more closely. Some say it's Clint's finest work; others that it's almost certainly his last (damn that Clarkson and the Stig) - whatever, go see and decide for yourself. In short, it's overall theme is that of redemption.

Quote: Martin H @ March 6 2009, 6:32 PM GMT

It says you have to show exceptional skills in both writing and directing?

So I'm guessing it is not enough to just send a script along? (I know I should read over the guidelines in full)

Yeah, but it also says: This is not an entry level scheme - but for writers and directors building a track record and a career in film and television drama.

Not writer-directors but -

". . . for writers and directors . . ."

It's a bit of an ambitious tall order to seek out an award winning writer AND director within one person IMO.

P.S.
Anyway they do detail a separate para for writers with:

WRITERS: This scheme is open to all writers who have NOT had an ORIGINAL single, series or serial broadcast on UK television; writers who have contributed episodes to series or serials (e.g. a long-running soap) are now eligible to apply.

I'm pretty sure you can send in just a script. Problem is it's drama. I'm not great at that. Comedy drama might work though.

In total contrast, I can write both drama and comedy.

Yippee! :P