Roman's Empire BBC2 12/04/07 21.30 Page 4

Just watched the repeat showing on Sunday night of Roman's Empire... and I can't help liking it. Sure... it's not belly laughs but there's only so much excercise you can take in one day!

OK, the 'Romania' joke was not that funny... although there is that weird effect of repeating something (including showing where on a map Romania actually is) until it becomes ludicrous... and then very funny again.

I find myself responding to the characters... (espcially Nikki Pretty!) and the whole thing has a slightly 'dirty/rude' feel to it which I like. But then I'm a pervert.

Anyway... maybe not 'must see'... but definitely 'must record'.

In which case, am i the only one that laughed at the "Did someone call the Dalai Lama?" line?

Quote: ajp29 @ April 30, 2007, 1:30 AM

Come on Aaron the Romania joke was a crime against comedy. They even gave you a shot of the map in case you're retarded. I bet they came up with the joke before they gave Roman his name.

But "Romania" isn't the joke. The joke is that Roman is such a self-absorbed idiot that he neither knows it is a real place, nor listens when Leo tries to tell him that it does exist. And I liked the little map touch. Thought it worked well to emphasise the point.

When I was young it was called Rumania.

Quote: Aaron @ May 1, 2007, 12:38 PM

But "Romania" isn't the joke. The joke is that Roman is such a self-absorbed idiot that he neither knows it is a real place, nor listens when Leo tries to tell him that it does exist. And I liked the little map touch. Thought it worked well to emphasise the point.

*Sighing and rolling my eyes... ;-)*

Yes Aaron... I think I got it...

*More sighing and comedic rolling of eyes*

Hee hee

Quote: David Chapman @ May 1, 2007, 7:43 PM

When I was young it was called Rumania.

When I was young they called it 'Rumbleania'

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ May 1, 2007, 7:46 PM

*Sighing and rolling my eyes... ;-)*

Yes Aaron... I think I got it...

*More sighing and comedic rolling of eyes*

Hee hee

Well quite.

I wonder what over Roman related puns they will use.

Roman wasn't built in a day.
All roads lead to Roman.
Roman is a castle.
The long and winding Roman.
You'll never walk aRoman.
Ro Ro Roman your boat gently down the stream.
The crowd say Roman Selecta
Whose house? Roman's house.
My name is who? My name is what? My name is chiccchici Roman

Its late and i'm more than a little drunk, i'm a big drunk.

Didn't they do the first two (at least) already? Hmmm...

Did they? I should pay more attention but the narrator's voice drives me to a suicidal state of boredom. Maybe that's why they show Nathan Barley's arse so much, its probably a Health and Safety thing.

Ooooooooops. I am enjoying it.

I really enjoying this series not only is it holding my attention there are plenty of laughs. The best new sitcom for many months with a style all of it’s own. :D

Yeah, I'm liking it more and more. R. Kelly. Classic. Laughing out loud

Haha, i loved the R.Kelly joke to. I still think Nicholas Burns should have toned down his character a bit.

Still, i think i'm in love with Nikki.

I must have missed the R. Kelly joke...

Damn!

People are actually liking this?! It's a half-arsed Arrested Development rip off.