Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 25

Put me out of my misery David, which joke was it??!!

Stan

I remember thinking "that was an old joke" but I can't remember which one.

I did notice that the ad for the lonely hearts column at the end was word for word from a sketch Lee did on the sketch show! Still funny though! Just a pity they couldn't get the 'finger up the bum' part of the joke in on Friday as well. Sorry if that makes no sense to anyone!

Marks out of ten, and he said "I'd give her one."

Ah, the tension of it all when Guy is out of the way! Very well done, the series has grown into a good interweaving of situation comedy and gags with a hint of more.

IMO all the main characters have charisma, except for poor Barbara. I would so like to like her more, but... I have to agree with

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 13, 2007, 4:04 PM

And I'm afraid I still don't like the cleaner character, I feel like she is the anchor bringing the show down

- to me she's like a drain sucking out the good mood from the scene. But I liked Miranda Hart very much in Hyperdrive, so what's the problem, is it just a bad fit between her downbeat character and the others?

Going back to series 1 - does the DVD have any extras?

i went to see not going out being recorded about 3 weeks ago the episode was called art it took them 4 hrs to recorded it they was getting there lines wrong and they do a scene 2 times so if you want see a episode being made then note it will take 2-4hrs to untill it is done

To complain about actors not knowing their lines in a post of such varied, compounded and inventive illiteracy is an act little short of genius, notwithstanding it rather detracts from the sound and useful caution which lurks beneath the satire.

As far as doing a scene twice, they've done well if it only two takes are required to get a scene right. It normally takes a few more. If I'm wrong, please forgive me.

Quote: squills @ October 16, 2007, 3:25 PM

To complain about actors not knowing their lines in a post of such varied, compounded and inventive illiteracy is an act little short of genius, notwithstanding it rather detracts from the sound and useful caution which lurks beneath the satire.

Interesting first post.

Quote: earman2009 @ October 16, 2007, 8:57 PM

As far as doing a scene twice, they've done well if it only two takes are required to get a scene right. It normally takes a few more.

Exactky what I was thinking. I've been to literally dozens of TV recordings, but scripted and not, and only doing a scene twice is often extreme luxury.

Seefacts, have ordered the DVD of series one from Amazon. It was due out I think the 16th but just had an e mail to say its been delayed until the end if the month. Not sure if this is just an Amazon problem.

Stan

Quote: David H @ October 16, 2007, 10:33 AM

Marks out of ten, and he said "I'd give her one."

Agreed, this was a pretty obvious joke that most of the audience would have heard (or used) many times. If it had been left ambiguously (as they could have done) it would have been ok but the fact Lee said something like "I'd give her one" was disappointing.

Overall, though, a good episode for me.

Quote: Badge @ October 16, 2007, 11:36 PM

Agreed, this was a pretty obvious joke that most of the audience would have heard (or used) many times. If it had been left ambiguously (as they could have done) it would have been ok but the fact Lee said something like "I'd give her one" was disappointing.

Overall, though, a good episode for me.

Yeah, I've used that joke many times. I still like it though.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 14, 2007, 11:20 PM

Hi Krenz, thanks for posting on these forums and congratulations on your success with the show.

There's just one point you made that I wouldn't entirely agree with in your post. I don't think a sitcom should be entirely focus on just making people laugh above all else...

Thanks much for the welcomes! I must check back more regularly, as I keep checking in and missing whole pages of stuff - but yeah, just to answer ContainsNuts - I fully agree that a sitcom needs story and character to grab people, but all I was saying was that I think that above all else it should be funny, as in that should be the most important thing. Funny alone isn't enough, sure, but that should be factor no.1, for me. As has been said, a show with plot and character but no funny is a drama. You need the whole package, but I've been fed up of 'comedies' that were entertaining enough and told a nice story but when the credits rolled, you realised you hadn't laughed for half an hour.

I'm well aware that Not Going Out isn't going to tug on the heartstrings as much as Only Fools & Horses or The Royle Family, but I think there's a place for it for a show that makes viewers laugh out loud more often than a lot of other sitcoms.

There are plenty of times in the writing of it where a good joke doesn't make it through because it isn't furthering the story or revealing character. So believe me, it could be even gaggier! But those scenes like Lee pretending to chat up Lucy (as 'Bobby') are the ones that I guess we're trying to do more of, because they have the big 3 - gags, plot and character.

It's good to see a show driven by gags, I miss them. And you have the perfect leads for that in Lee and Tim.