Writing a Sketch Pilot? Page 2

Quote: glaikit @ January 9 2009, 10:20 AM GMT

This to me is a good argument for letting individual writers (and small teams) submit sketch show scripts as we would sitcom scripts.

I agree, focus is the key. A small, talented team, rather than thirty-odd contributers.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 9 2009, 10:23 AM GMT

I agree, focus is the key. A small, talented team, rather than thirty-odd contributers.

Totally. I'm tired of lazy sketch shows built around performers or rehashes of other, more successful shows. After Big Train all we got was adverts and other sketch shows copying its style (documentary camerawork, playing out surreal situations as ordinary) and after Little Britain we've had a rash of catchphrase-led smuttery trying to cash-in (Tittybangbang for one).

I want sketch shows to be as original and writer-led as my favourite sitcoms.

Writing/performing maybe the best solution.

Certainly The Goons and Monty Python were very much the whole vision/package.

Quote: Griff @ January 9 2009, 7:49 AM GMT

Wouldn't it be brilliant if the unannounced sketch pilot which has already been commissioned for 2009 Comedy Lab was Bussell and Henman's supernatural sketch show and they were just being coy?

Oh, but were that the case! Sadly our bid for a Lab fell flat when the production company we were working with got cold feet over the high concept pitch they were originally sold on. I'm only counting it as a setback though. The plan this year is to produce a pilot free of prod co interference and take the show reel straight to the broadcasters. See how they likes them eggs.

I quite like eggs...

Dan

Reading this thread I think the general thoughts are don't do it.

But.....

If you had idea for a sketch show and enough enough sketches for a complete show.

Then how does one package such a thing to send out to production companies?

Obviously a sitcom is very easy - scripit, covering letter done!

But a sketch show - do you show a complete episode?

I'd like to send something new over to my lady at the procduction co that was interested in my sitcom and thought this might be better option.

Any thoughts anyone.

Quote: Griff @ November 12 2009, 12:19 PM GMT

I would make sure you have a very good treatment explaining the format of the sketch show and why it is unique and marvellous and a guaranteed smash hit. Then, send your three best sketches to illustrate your sketch writing skills, unless the format of the show requires you to send more for some reason.

But I tell ye now. Sketch pilots are not popular with most producers. Because sketch shows are based around performers. Concept-led sketch shows only get commissioned if the writers involved are big enough to sell it on their reputation.

You'd be just as good to say "here are some great sketches I wrote" and the heck with the sketch pilot idea.

Is your sketch pilot idea based around historical sketches perchance?

Right.....another sitcom it is then. :)

Quote: Griff @ November 12 2009, 12:19 PM GMT

Is your sketch pilot idea based around historical sketches perchance?

:$

Yeah, horrible histories is very good! But it is for kids.

It was going to be called Monarchy and follow the royal line through from 1066 to Victoria.

A different period each episode.

TV. I'm not much cop at writing radio stuff.

It can't do any harm. One thing for sure, it won't come to anything sat on my hard drive. The worst they can do is say no!

What would you advise in the treatment?

I think you can pitch sketch pilots but you have to be clever about it and pretend it's something else. Use your noggin and think of an intriguing conceit that incoroprates lots of sketches.

Quote: bigfella @ November 12 2009, 12:41 PM GMT

TV. I'm not much cop at writing radio stuff.

Learn. There are more opportunities for newbies there.

Quote: chipolata @ November 12 2009, 12:43 PM GMT

Learn.

:O

No. You're right of course.

Don't they prefer you to send the first 10 pages of a sitcom sometimes? Perhaps - if you have a decent enough conceit - you might get away with the same for a sketch show concept?

Or just disguise a sketchshow as a sitcom (e.g. League of Gentlemen)?

Quote: bigfella @ November 12 2009, 12:44 PM GMT

:O

No. You're right of course.

And it's not just about increasing the amount of opportunities avaliable to you, writing in different mediums helps you hone your talent.

Quote: Afinkawan @ November 12 2009, 12:46 PM GMT

Don't they prefer you to send the first 10 pages of a sitcom sometimes? Perhaps - if you have a decent enough conceit - you might get away with the same for a sketch show concept?

It's not going to the writersroom. Straight to pro-co. But writers room you can't do sketch shows.

Quote: chipolata @ November 12 2009, 12:47 PM GMT

And it's not just about increasing the amount of opportunities avaliable to you, writing in different mediums helps you hone your talent.

I know....

I find it hard to get all the comedy into the words. So much of comedy, after all, is visual. But you right, a bit of practice needed.

Quote: Griff @ November 12 2009, 1:39 PM GMT

Well on radio you've got "boing!" noises and swanee whistles to use as well.

Now you're talking! Laughing out loud