CHRISTMAS! Page 53

I gave up smoking about 15 years ago but started again when I quit alcohol in January. Kicking myself that I wasn't strong will enough to resist as I had managed all those years without lighting up and now it gets harder and harder to not buy a pouch when I'm running low. I would never smoke a cigarette again and would probably go without if all I had were cigarettes but I get the morning craving for a rollie even though I don't enjoy it. I've never had a pipe and was thinking of trying one and start going for several days without smoking tobacco until eventually it stops altogether.

Well, that's opposite to me, as I found drink went with fags and fags went with drink and both made me indulge further, so it was a vicious circle.

(Could never get on with a pipe, which I tried two or three times)

Fighting for breath one night, when I seriously thought I was going to die, finished the fags for me and I got fed up of feeling crap the next morning after a drinking session, as I was the type of drinker who wouldn't be satisfied with a "swift half".

Still suffer from COPD and being short of breath, but at least I know I'll die reasonably healthy this time. 😆

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th November 2023, 12:14 AM

Gave up drinking 8 years ago (along with smoking), when I thought Christmas would be a problem, but it turned out not to be, and I don't miss drink at all - and certainly not the fags.

Who does all your chores for you then?

Quote: Chappers @ 18th November 2023, 12:24 PM

Who does all your chores for you then?

With a house bound disabled wife, who do you think? 😢

Did you miss the multi-faceted word 'fag joke?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th November 2023, 8:55 AM

Did you miss the multi-faceted word 'fag joke?

Nope, I saw the school fag reference flagged up large, but I was never one like Chappers who went to Rugby School and had a headmaster called "Queers", and thought I'd plead my case, being the pleader I am.

On a "Turkey & Tinsel" break in Eastbourne. Christmas Eve today (mulled wine on arrival), Christmas Day tomorrow (Christmas dinner), Boxing Day Wednesday (Festive cream tea in the lounge) and New Year's Eve Thursday (evening entertainment).

Last time I was here the hotel next door burned down:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd November 2019, 10:33 AM

Been on a pre-Christmas 'turkey & tinsel break' in Eastbourne this week. Hotel next door currently ablaze; fire engines as far as you can see. Just been evacuated to the furthest part of our hotel.

The Burlington? I was there today. We may have passed each other and doffed caps.

I was the one partaking of tea & cake.

Merry Naked Christmas

https://www.andytwyman.com/so/b1OmX4QZo?languageTag=en&cid=e8288803-01e5-4458-a64a-576319ab6bbd®ion=8d3421cf-ab9e-4fda-9a13-abd833ae1e1b

I'll be attending my neighbors' Christmas party tomorrow evening, but I'll miss my company's party the next evening because I'll be making a hellride to Florida:

Saturday: Leave at 4:30 AM and drive 750 miles to Pensacola. I selected a hotel within walking distance of a brewery. :)

Sunday: Drive 575 miles to my parents' place. Visit for a couple of hours before they go to bed.

Monday: Finish whatever chores or IT support tasks my mother has for me, then leave around 10 AM, then swap cars (the whole point of the trip) and drive 575 miles to Pensacola. Stay in the same hotel and visit the same brewery - they have a Cuban sandwich (my favorite) on the menu.

Tuesday: Drive 750 miles back home, then get ready for work Wednesday morning. :(

Nothing like a relaxing trip to visit loved ones...

You are certainly a glutton for punishment - travelling is something that is a complete anathema to me these days. I even balk a walking down to the local shop (5 mins. away) to get my wife's newspaper - Arthur Ritis is just starting to set in. 😒

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st December 2023, 12:03 AM

You are certainly a glutton for punishment - travelling is something that is a complete anathema to me these days. I even balk a walking down to the local shop (5 mins. away) to get my wife's newspaper - Arthur Ritis is just starting to set in. 😒

Not good to hear that Herc there must be a shop that will deliver it for free for for nearly free. Do you have comfy trainers with a thick, soft heel to walk in because they are a must? I don't know about arthritis so don't know if it's good to be doing regular walking but it's great cardiovascular exercise. I've been thinking of starting a daily supplement of cod liver oil but am not sure if it's worth it and isn't cheap so might be better to just spend it on fresh fish and get the health benefits from that.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st December 2023, 12:58 AM

Not good to hear that Herc there must be a shop that will deliver it for free for for nearly free. Do you have comfy trainers with a thick, soft heel to walk in because they are a must? I don't know about arthritis so don't know if it's good to be doing regular walking but it's great cardiovascular exercise. I've been thinking of starting a daily supplement of cod liver oil but am not sure if it's worth it and isn't cheap so might be better to just spend it on fresh fish and get the health benefits from that.

Thank you for your concern, Tarby, and yes exercise is one way of combating it apparently - by coincidence there was a programme on ITV only last night about the problem, which was handy! And they were showing exercise classes, a lot of which I have been doing anyway, having been on Yoga courses and recently a Pulmonary exercise course.

I do take a couple of supplements to my prescriptions (one being glucosamine, which is good for joints apparently) and was advised yesterday that Magnesium Glycinate is good for arthritis so ordered some, which should be here tomorrow.

I took cod liver oil for many years (the bottled liquid stuff, not the capsules, which looked to me not to contain much) and when I went on a diet, I dropped it as it said there was 50 calories in one dessert spoonful, which was what I was using. Also, it's amazing what you find out when you read the label (!) it said that it wasn't 100% cod liver oil, as it was supplemented with "other" fish oil, and for the price they charged for it, I thought it was a bloody cheek then labelling it as all coming from a cod. Anyway, I didn't notice any loss of mobility after I stopped taking it.

So yes, eating fish and/or going on a Mediterranean diet would be cheaper/better for you.

Have also, just now ordered a couple of S/H books on eBay about living with and easing arthritis - only a fiver! Which has got to be better than the books featured on that TV programme at £15 each!!

London's Christmas lights, Regent Street December 1961