The Royle Family Christmas 2008 Page 6

Ah well. Perhaps you could have had some wafer-thin ham sandwiches to ease the wait.

Quote: Griff @ December 28 2008, 10:07 AM GMT

No. It just took hours to defrost the bastard in the microwave.

And what about the turkey?

Quote: Aaron @ December 26 2008, 8:41 PM GMT

Not really. The bit where he was using tools to cut it was highly amusing.

We could go on.

Fair enough, but it's just not the Royles.

Series 1, 2, 3 and were all ace. 1 and 2 especially were master classes in wonderful dialogue and realism. Low key and honest. This Christmas one was just over the top - some nice lines mind - but just not the same.

It's almost a parody. It's odd given Mealey's involvement. Early Doors captured the Royle magic from series 1, but this just felt off-key.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 28 2008, 7:46 PM GMT

Fair enough, but it's just not the Royles.

Series 1, 2, 3 and were all ace. 1 and 2 especially were master classes in wonderful dialogue and realism. Low key and honest. This Christmas one was just over the top - some nice lines mind - but just not the same.

It's almost a parody. It's odd given Mealey's involvement. Early Doors captured the Royle magic from series 1, but this just felt off-key.

There were some great lines in this year's special and on the whole it was an entertaining watch but didn't anyone involved in making the special have a look at some old episodes for the sake of continuity of the characters??

Dave and Jim were miles off the characters they were in earlier episodes.

It's like someone who'd never watched the show before was given a piece of paper with the characters roughly explained and then asked to write a special based on nothing that had gone before.

I know what you mean Greg, I know what you mean.

Quote: Greg @ December 29 2008, 12:10 AM GMT

There were some great lines in this year's special and on the whole it was an entertaining watch but didn't anyone involved in making the special have a look at some old episodes for the sake of continuity of the characters??

This often happens with Bart and Homer, on The Simpsons. One minute they're idiots, the next they're talking like intellectuals.

Yeah, the joke about something intelligent and then are clueless.

Quote: Greg @ December 29 2008, 12:10 AM GMT

It's like someone who'd never watched the show before was given a piece of paper with the characters roughly explained and then asked to write a special based on nothing that had gone before.

I think that this is spot on Greg.

Dave Snr had been referred to in previous episodes as a work-shy invalidity scrounger. In the special he was not remotely like this at all.

Baby David was born on Christmas day yet he was farmed out to Anthony and his birthday not even mentioned. I know Denise is sort of Jeremy Kyle fodder but one thing that shone through all previous episodes was that genuine warmth of "family above all else". This outing lacked believability (first rule of comedy Spike) all round and I know it's only comedy but with such a back catalogue to honour then I think the continuity howlers were shocking.

I'm banging on about this (though God knows why) because as a real fan (anorak perhaps) it just smacked of a quick in-out writing meeting and a half-hearted attempt at knocking out an episode of what was once, and still could be, one of the very best sitcoms ever.

I hope if they do do any more that they revert to the format and the painstaking attention to detail that saw them, quite rightly, scooping lorry-loads of BAFTA and comedy awards

Agree there were still some gems in there but overall it's just saddened me.

The show jumped the shark the minute Dave started sawing the turkey. Reminded me of Mr. Bean or something. And contrary to others' opinions I didn't find Dave's dad believable or funny at all. Some nice gags but most were signposted 30 seconds before the reveal (e.g. Twiggy's prison lines). Was looking forward to this more than anything on telly this Christmas and was severely disappointed.

With regards to Jim and Daves' characters changing, I always thought this was more because of the show's realism - as opposed to being a traditional sitcom where characters must never progress.

For instance Dave has been getting progressively daft since having children - for example his dedication to making Baby David's farm. I see Jim as someone getting grumpier and lazy with age - which is quite common. Just as Denise has changed in even contemplating cooking a meal - however badly.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ December 29 2008, 8:39 AM GMT

Baby David was born on Christmas day yet he was farmed out to Anthony and his birthday not even mentioned. I know Denise is sort of Jeremy Kyle fodder but one thing that shone through all previous episodes was that genuine warmth of "family above all else".

I forgot about it being his birthday, but it's not new that Denise is keen to farm her kids out. Remember she had never spent a whole day alone with Baby David and Barbara, Dave's parents and Cheryl looked after him.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ December 29 2008, 8:39 AM GMT

Dave Snr had been referred to in previous episodes as a work-shy invalidity scrounger. In the special he was not remotely like this at all.

I was waiting for some reference to this too. Maybe he is supposed to have a genuine health problem (heart, etc) and it's ironic that Jim calls him a lazy scrounger?

It was on the telly at my Gran's on Christmas night, but missed it due to falling asleep when it was on. Will have to watch it on iPlayer.

Quote: al_gernon @ December 29 2008, 12:22 PM GMT

Was looking forward to this more than anything on telly this Christmas and was severely disappointed.

Maybe it's the curse of expectation to a degree? I watched it as an afterthought with relatively low expectations and I was highly amused. Yes, some of the dinner preparation was daft and out of synch with what's gone before, but that didn't spoil it for me.

Do you know if they are showing it again over the holiday period ?

I am in Ireland & cannot see it on BBC.co.uk

No, it's not scheduled for a repeat that I'm aware of, sorry.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 29 2008, 12:40 PM GMT

With regards to Jim and Daves' characters changing, I always thought this was more because of the show's realism - as opposed to being a traditional sitcom where characters must never progress.

For instance Dave has been getting progressively daft since having children - for example his dedication to making Baby David's farm. I see Jim as someone getting grumpier and lazy with age - which is quite common. Just as Denise has changed in even contemplating cooking a meal - however badly.

I forgot about it being his birthday, but it's not new that Denise is keen to farm her kids out. Remember she had never spent a whole day alone with Baby David and Barbara, Dave's parents and Cheryl looked after him.

I was waiting for some reference to this too. Maybe he is supposed to have a genuine health problem (heart, etc) and it's ironic that Jim calls him a lazy scrounger?

I think you're clutching at straws a bit there, Dolly. I don't think you can put glaring character continuity errors down to the characters evolving in some way offscreen. For me Dave has gone from a bit of a thicko in previous episodes to borderline mentally-retarded, as has Denise. And Jim wasn't right either. For me it was only Barbara who seemed unchanged.

Like others on here I absolutely adore the Royles - I completely bought into their world and was genuinely involved and in love with the characters, which is rare for me. So when the writing is off, it feels odd and uncomfortable - almost like visiting a loved family member who's changed overnight, however subtley.