Peter Kay - Is he just a money grabber?

Just been voted Britain's most popular comedian by a landslide. I can see why this is, but although this man is very funny and one of the best stand ups this country has ever seen, I'm becoming a little tired of his money grabbing behaviour.

He is releasing a DVD this Christmas of some of his TV appearances over the years, why? Can't we just visit YouTube for that?! He pulled out of Sunshine because he wasn't going to get enough money for it apparently, so Steve Coogan stepped in (and done a great job!).

He's released some dvd's which feature the same clips of his comedy material, Phoenix Nights has been re-released over and over again. Hos official website is a Peter Kay shop.

I did hear recently that he turned up un-announced at a charity gig in his local town and did a 10-20 minute set, which is good. The man is now a millionaire, his family will never want for anything. Why not have some respect for himself and do another Phoenix Nights or Max & Paddy? I'm sick of seeing his face next to a price tag, I'd prefer to see his face next to a BAFTA or something.

He's a decent comedian and very popular, why the hell shouldn't he make some money.

Unimaginative people want to give his DVDs at Christmas? Good for him.

And if he pulled out of Sunshine for not enough cash, double good for him.

The BBC pays top dollar for a wide variety of nitwits, why should he take less for a role?

Who knows how much he gives, family friends charities or tramps with dogs on string?

There's at least one famous TV writer who's forever bailing out his own criminal family.

You know Peter Kay doesn't produce and distribute these DVDs himself? The companies making them are as guilty of cashing in on Kay as he is. They get the rights to the footage and distribute them. I'm not sure he could put a stop to it if he really wanted to, which he might not.

He does seem a bit 'money grabbing', but if the money's there...

In the unlikely event I'm in a position to grab the money, I'm going to milk it like a crab handed milkmaid with Parkinsons.

Yes.

Was Pheonix Nights written by David Spikey?

And On the Road by that bloke off the Greg's adverts.

:)

I reckon that Kay would like to make another Phoenix Nights, but hasn't he upset virtually all the cast?

Of course he's a money grabber. He's a lazy, greedy one-trick pony.

The problem isn't him though. As long as there are people who are stupid enough to keep parting with their money for the tosh he releases (and everything he's even done bar Phoenix Nights and Top of the Tower has been tosh) then he and his companies will keep pedalling this crap.

Quote: Griff @ December 1 2008, 4:43 PM GMT

The Phoenix Nights script book says "Written by Peter Kay, Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice".

On The Road was written by Jack Kerouac.

No he invented that solid caramel bar you got in the 80s, Jack Keroumacs were fab.

Of course I was referring to Max and Paddy on the road.

Apologies only fools abbreviate.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 1 2008, 4:03 PM GMT

You know Peter Kay doesn't produce and distribute these DVDs himself? The companies making them are as guilty of cashing in on Kay as he is. They get the rights to the footage and distribute them. I'm not sure he could put a stop to it if he really wanted to, which he might not.

I'd be willing to bet that they're produced by a company he owns, and then distributed by, ooh, I'm guessing 4DVD.

Quote: sootyj @ December 1 2008, 4:58 PM GMT

Of course I was referring to Max and Paddy on the road.

Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere. But I'm pretty sure that Griff was being purposely obtuse.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ December 1 2008, 4:56 PM GMT

Of course he's a money grabber. He's a lazy, greedy one-trick pony.

The problem isn't him though. As long as there are people who are stupid enough to keep parting with their money for the tosh he releases (and everything he's even done bar Phoenix Nights and Top of the Tower has been tosh) then he and his companies will keep pedalling this crap.

His first series, was it That Peter Kay Thing? Now that was his best thing by a long shot.

I think when people will pay topdollar for a plate of your shite, why bother making lasagna.

That Popfactor debacle was bad to the point of being insulting.

If he's so into being a comedy northern stereotype (but ironic), why doesn't he just eat a whippet on stage?

Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2008, 4:59 PM GMT

I'd be willing to bet that they're produced by a company he owns, and then distributed by, ooh, I'm guessing 4DVD.

Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere. But I'm pretty sure that Griff was being purposely obtuse.

Ok with this degree of accuracy I should be in the USAF, I'd go for Afghanistan and hit Belgium.

I'd like to see Kay do a remake of Get Carter and get thrown off a car park in Leeds by the Michael Caine actor, like Alf Roberts in the original.

"You're a big man, Peter, but you're out of shape... you c**t"

Who'd toss him off?

Max Beasley?