Peter Kay - Is he just a money grabber? Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2008, 4:59 PM GMT

I'd be willing to bet that they're produced by a company he owns, and then distributed by, ooh, I'm guessing 4DVD.

Actually, all his DVDs are being produced by Universal Pictures so I'll take you up on that. :)

Ok then:

I'd be willing to bet that they're produced by a company he owns, and then distributed by Universal Pictures.

Who cares?

For Pete's sake he's not coming round your house threatening to break wind if you don't buy one.

It's not even like he's threatening to retire.

People like to give DVDs at Christmas, performers like to make money from them.

Maybe he wants a solid gold shitter and £20 note bog roll.

Either way this thread is sour, sour grapes.

Why not buy a Frank Sidebottom DVD as a protest and send him the receipt as protest.

Perhaps smeared with Ebola virus if you're that vexed.

Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2008, 6:48 PM GMT

Ok then:

I'd be willing to bet that they're produced by a company he owns, and then distributed by Universal Pictures.

Probably. But there is more than just one person behind this.

Quote: sootyj @ December 1 2008, 6:57 PM GMT

Who cares?

Mike cares.

Quote: Leevil @ December 1 2008, 6:59 PM GMT

Mike cares.

Yeah there's thousands of threads here that I don't care about but I don't think I'm going to go into each one of them and say 'who cares' to the people that cared enough to start and engage in them. :P

But I do agree with gold shitter conspiracy. That has got to be it. :)

I aim to be more succesful than Peter Kay, so just practising being self righteous in advance.

And doing the same thing more than once ;)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 1 2008, 5:42 PM GMT

I'd like to see Kay do a remake of Get Carter and get thrown off a car park in Leeds by the Michael Caine actor, like Alf Roberts in the original.

"You're a big man, Peter, but you're out of shape... you c**t"

:D :D :D

Quote: sootyj @ December 1 2008, 7:04 PM GMT

I aim to be more succesful than Peter Kay, so just practising being self righteous in advance.

Care then. My advice.

:)

I don't think Kay is anymore of a moneygrubber than the next comedian. In fact, he seems to have done less projects than Coogan and Gervais.

Quote: chipolata @ December 2 2008, 9:24 AM GMT

I don't think Kay is anymore of a moneygrubber than the next comedian. In fact, he seems to have done less projects than Coogan and Gervais.

He has done less projects but just releases the same stuff on DVD every Christmas, that was my initial point. Yes, Gervais has done a good amount of stuff, but with his three stand up DVDs he hasn't released another one calling it The Best of Ricky Gervais, has he?! Which is what Kay did with Stand Up UKay. Some of the material he released on that DVD had been released twice before i.e. his Live At The Bolton Albert Hall DVD was released, then a few months later a Peter Kay Live DVD was released with the exact same act, but at a different venue. This is where I lost respect for him.

It's not about the number of projects he's done, I just find it amazing that before the X Factor spoof (shit) he hadn't done anything for four years, yet had released about 3-4 DVDs in that time. Just to keep the millions piling up.

I can't comment on individual projects, but I do know that sometimes artists have no control over what's released. If somebody else owns the rights, they'll put it out regardless of what the artist wants. (I'm not saying that's what's happened with Kay, it's just a general observation).

Quote: chipolata @ December 2 2008, 9:41 AM GMT

I can't comment on individual projects, but I do know that sometimes artists have no control over what's released. If somebody else owns the rights, they'll put it out regardless of what the artist wants. (I'm not saying that's what's happened with Kay, it's just a general observation).

My guess is, from what I've seen, that he does have some say in what gets released. I saw a documentary on his last tour, he was signing copies of Phoenix Nights and other DVDs he had out saying that he could charge an extra fiver for them if they were signed.

I just think it's slightly unfair to single out Kay. This time of year shops are groaning under the weight of dreary DVDs and cheap tie-in-books in which every Tom, Dick and Harry tries to make a quick buck.