British Comedy Awards 2008 Page 16

Quote: Pete @ December 8 2008, 3:06 PM GMT

Yes...but you thinking that doesn't make it so!

Actually it does. ;)

Quote: Pete @ December 8 2008, 3:06 PM GMT

Yes...but you thinking that doesn't make it so!

Well I've been meaning to say the same to you for several pages now. :)

We've all got our opinions, and many of us seem to believe that makes them fact.

The Office doesn't win "best sitcom awards" now...fact. In 20 years, who knows but the odds don't look good. Gavin and Stacey is a very obvious example of how people have gone looking for the FUN in funny after the The Office years. In 20 years people will still say it was ground breaking, yada yada yada....but it won't be FUN.

Well, it's not on now, it doesn't even get nominated.

No, but there are regular "best sitcoms" shows and polls and The Office is never close to the "fun" shows and never will be.

Okay...

What is your original point again? I've lost it.

The Office isn't fun enough for you?
It doesn't win enough polls?
Ricky isn't grateful enough in his speeches?

:) I'm sure it's one of them.

Quote: zooo @ December 8 2008, 3:19 PM GMT

Okay...

What is your original point again? I've lost it.

The Office isn't fun enough for you?
It doesn't win enough polls?
Ricky isn't grateful enough in his speeches?

:) I'm sure it's one of them.

1. I don't mind how fun it is....but it's daft to say it will stand Gervais alongside true comedy greats in years to come because it's lack of fun wil preclude it from being regarded in that way.

2. No, hence proving 1.

3. No (nor, more importantly, funny enough)

In. Your. Opinion. :)

And in MY opinion, I think Ricky's name WILL stand alongside the greats of the past.

I also think it should.

But if you disagree, are there any other current names you think will. Or should?

Quote: Pete @ December 8 2008, 3:17 PM GMT

No, but there are regular "best sitcoms" shows and polls and the office is never close to the "fun" shows and never will be.

I'm not sure we should be judging what the best sitcoms are by "polls". Yes, I enjoy those polls as much as the next man, but they're hardly a solid indicator of a classic. Shows like Reginald Perrin, Rising Damp, Hancock, Steptoe and Son or The Likely Lads rarely feature in those polls either. They are all still great shows, though.

And for the record, I thought The Office WAS a fun show. And it's Christmas specials ended on a surprisingly touching high, as David Brent finally got a laugh, told Finchy to f**k off, and found love. Oh, and Tim and the recptionist also finally got it together. :D

No idea....I don't watch enough UK comedy, the last good stuff I saw was The Office.

Quote: Aaron @ December 8 2008, 2:42 PM GMT

Can you honestly see his name being listed with the likes of Barker, Rossiter, Lowe, Morecambe, Dawson?

Yes

Quote: chipolata @ December 8 2008, 3:29 PM GMT

I'm not sure we should be judging what the best sitcoms are by "polls". Yes, I enjoy those polls as much as the next man, but they're hardly a solid indicator of a classic. Shows like Reginald Perrin, Rising Damp, Hancock, Steptoe and Son or The Likely Lads rarely feature in those polls either. They are all still great shows, though.

Without wanting to bog down the debate with facts......but....the poll on this very site (from the BBC I believe) lists Rising Damp at 27, Hancock at 30, Steptoe at 15 and Likely Lads at 23 (with The Office at 25)

Considering old shows suffer because they date (I'm 35 and would have no more interest watching a show from 30/40 years ago than I would listen to Cliff Richard) I'd say that's a pretty good showing by them.......if The Office is still at 25 in 30 years I'd eat my jet boots.

If you're still with us...

I still think polls are essentially worthless. Skewed in favour of recent shows, or more populist shows. Neither neccessarily an indicator of true quality.

I'll be 65 having had a far higher standard of living than most, private medical care, good diet, etc.

I'm confident.