I read the news today oh boy! Page 691

Quote: zooo @ March 2 2012, 6:31 PM GMT

How bizarre. Surely there must have been slightly more to it than that?

I'm guessing there's far more to the story. Look at the slavering right-wing nutter comments below and it suggests that the Toronto Sun appeals to a certain type of person and undoubtedly tailors their news coverage to appeal to them.

Quote: Chappers @ March 2 2012, 10:37 PM GMT

Like here - and a very good job too.

Yeah, nothing like strip searching someone because of the drawing their 4-year-old made. Errr

Quote: chipolata @ March 2 2012, 11:33 PM GMT

I'm guessing there's far more to the story. Look at the slavering right-wing nutter comments below and it suggests that the Toronto Sun appeals to a certain type of person and undoubtedly tailors their news coverage to appeal to them.

The story ran in many news outlets and the facts were consistent in all of them. Your suggestion that comments drive coverage is ludicrous because on any given politically charged story that runs you'll find an equal number of pro/anti/left/right comments.

Perhaps a man really was arrested and strip searched because his 4-year-old daughter drew a picture. What do you have to say about that?

Perhaps it was handled in the wrong way but I can see why they had to investigate it. Kids do make things up but it must sometimes be hard for education staff to have to decide how made up it is and if it should be reported. In some cases it is a legal obligation to report incidents like this.

Quote: reds @ March 3 2012, 6:01 AM GMT

Kids do make things up but it must sometimes be hard for education staff to have to decide how made up it is and if it should be reported. In some cases it is a legal obligation to report incidents like this.

Yes, the school was legally obliged to report it according to this report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/02/29/jessie-sansone-gun-drawing-mcguinty_n_1310263.html

Also in that article, we learn "The school, police and child welfare officials all stand by their actions,.../". I'd like to hear the police's reasons for such apparent over-reaction before condemning them.

Quote: DaButt @ March 3 2012, 5:35 AM GMT

Yeah, nothing like strip searching someone because of the drawing their 4-year-old made. Errr

The story ran in many news outlets and the facts were consistent in all of them. Your suggestion that comments drive coverage is ludicrous

I was suggesting that newspapers and TV channels all have their own political agendas which alters how they cover a story. They emphasise certain key points, downplay others etc. And their readers/viewers like them because they pander to their own preconcieved world views. See The Daily Mail, The Mirror, Fox News for further details. And a cursory glance of the Toronto Sun's website reveals that it's a right wing tabloid with a right wing agenda. All I'm saying is that this incident probably isn't as black and white (Monstrously Evil Interfering Liberal Authorities Strip Innocent Dad Naked) as they're making out.

Wow, Rush Limbaugh is a massive c**t. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-buzz/post/rush-limbaugh-calls-georgetown-student-sandra-fluke-a-slut-for-advocating-contraception/2012/03/02/gIQAvjfSmR_blog.html?tid=pm_local_pop

No one takes him seriously in America, right? *hopes*

I dunno he got busted for making his black cleaning lady buy illegal oxycottin to which he was addicted.

Even Richard Madeley didn't do that.

And apparently he publicly called Chelsea Clinton ugly when she was only about 12.

He am massive c**t and no mistake.

He seems to have quite a significant following. I think he has spoken in front of the Republican party as an honoured guest several times. He is really unbearably odious.

Quote: zooo @ March 3 2012, 10:41 AM GMT

And apparently he publicly called Chelsea Clinton ugly when she was only about 12.

He am massive c**t and no mistake.

He used to play a sound fx of a hoover when discussing abortion on his show.

But the drug thing is what makes him such a hypocrite.

Quote: chipolata @ March 3 2012, 8:26 AM GMT

I was suggesting that newspapers and TV channels all have their own political agendas which alters how they cover a story.

Of course. But that doesn't change the fact that a man was arrested, strip searched and jailed because of a drawing his 4-year-old daughter made and that no guns were found.

I used to draw 3-headed aliens when I was a child and nobody every strip searched my parents and tore our house apart looking for ET. And let's face it, an alien is a much bigger danger to a child (and mankind as a whole) than a pistol.

Racist

Quote: sootyj @ March 3 2012, 1:34 PM GMT

Racist

Are you trying to alienate me?

The small town in western North Carolina where my parents spend their summers was hit by one of yesterday's tornadoes. I think their cabin is ok but it sounds like most of the small town's businesses were damaged or destroyed, including the supermarket where I buy beer when I visit. :(

THINK OF THE POOR BEER!