I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,766

It's not the flag, it's the people waving it.

And from tomorrow, in Scotland, a new law comes into effect where you can be arrested and charged and your 'electronic devices confiscated if you state a certain fact.

Quote: Lazzard @ 31st March 2024, 10:01 AM

It's not the flag, it's the people waving it.

That's their latest feeble excuse yes. What utter shite it is. If they hadn't stopped waving it in the first place, the hard right wouldn't have wrapped themselves up in it so much and waved it in defiance.

Is a little tea shop racist for having Union Jack bunting outside? A fire station for waving it on important days? An award winning fish n chip shop for having it on a mural? No, it's the nutty lefty councils for trying to social engineer us out of being proud of our country, and be embarrassed and ashamed of it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st March 2024, 10:17 AM

And from tomorrow, in Scotland, a new law comes into effect where you can be arrested and charged and your 'electronic devices confiscated if you state a certain fact.

That trannies without fannies aren't actually women you mean? J K Rowling's going to have to emigrate. Maybe the SNP are hoping to fine her hundreds of millions to stop Scotland going bankrupt.

Excellent. Another silly flag story we have to pretend we all care about.

The Labour Party has changed under Starmer and that is why under him they do things like having the Union flag on its leaflets etc

Corbyn probably wouldn't have done that - mainly because he's a cretin

Some MPs are just pointing out that in their communities there are people of colour that grew up in the 70's and 80's surrounded by f**king scum like the NF and other nazi groups who used the flag on their posters and party literature

So they aren't saying using leaflets with the Union flag is "wrong" , but they are pointing out that it is potentially turning off people from ethnic minorities, who have historically have had it waved in their faces by skinheads and neo nazi morons

Personally I think these MPs are being silly and patronising

The vast majority of these 'ethnic minority' people are intelligent enough to know the difference ffs

And I bet it's only a handful of MPs - it's just another non story a desperate right wing media are trying to ramp up to divert from stories like the one today that shows a massive MRP poll suggest the tories won't even get 100 seats in the next election and even Sunak is at risk as losing his own seat. All these lot are predicted to lose their seats

Johnny Mercer
Jonathan Gullis
Penny Mordaunt
Robert Jenrick
James Cleverly
Alex Chalk
Grant Shapps
Mel Stride
Esther McVey
Chris Heaton-Harris
Andrew Mitchell
Jacob Rees-Mogg
David Davies
Gavin Williamson
Liam Fox
Therese Coffey

The King got out for Easter, which is nice.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st March 2024, 9:50 AM

Labour MPs in uproar over their country's flag being on the election campaign leaflets shock. And so we finally have proof that lefties hate Britain, as if we didn't already know.

I'm still not sure if Alfred - as we all know, an amusing far right construct like Alf Garnett - actually believes the drivel he spouts, or is it all tongue in cheek? Perhaps we'll never be sure.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st March 2024, 1:27 PM

The King got out for Easter, which is nice.

🙂

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st March 2024, 10:38 AM

If they hadn't stopped waving it in the first place, the hard right wouldn't have wrapped themselves up in it so much and waved it in defiance.

I partially agree with this - we (Centre/Left) were all over the flag under Blair (Cool Britannia, remember).
And even in 2012 I think we still felt we owned it - the whole Olympics Opening Ceremony was something we could all get behind (though I think the first stirrings of Anti-Woke surfaced, and the Right are retrospectively a bit sniffy about Danny Boyle's vision now)
As ever (and you won't be surprised to hear this from me) it was Brexit that polarised everything.
Remainers should have fought harder on a patriotic message - what's more patriotic than not wanting to shoot yourself in the foot, protect workers and standards and remain at the centre of the European stage?
But we didn't. Mainly down to that pillock Corbyn refusing to get involved, allowing the whole thing to be a blue on blue battle.
Patriotism turned to Nationalism and a lot of angry bald blokes in ill-fitting Harringtons started demanding their country back, swathed in the old red, white & blue.
And that division has grown, rather than healed, with the flag now wrapped around an increasingly divisive, racist government - willing to get behind any dog-whistle cause célèbre.
And if there's one thing that'll stop a liberal-progresive waving a flag, it's being told he's got to wave a flag by a Tory.
I hope we can reclaim it one day.
And I think we might.

The trouble with 'Centre/left haha is they cannot stop saying their buzz-words: Brexit, racism The EU etc.
It was and is an unexpected bonus that the country voted to leave and they just can't get over it.

A large majority can't get over it

Which is why polls continually show a considerable majority of people say they would have voted remain knowing what they know - and that they would vote to rejoin if a new vote took place

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st April 2024, 9:41 AM

The trouble with 'Centre/left haha is they cannot stop saying their buzz-words: Brexit, racism The EU etc.
It was and is an unexpected bonus that the country voted to leave and they just can't get over it.

The trouble with the Right is they want to shut down the conversation.
Your post being a case in point.
Demoting words like 'racism' to mere 'buzz words' is a very effective way of dodging the argument.
And who can blame you?
It's the only way you'll ever win it.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st April 2024, 10:50 AM

A large majority can't get over it

Which is why polls continually show a considerable majority of people say they would have voted remain knowing what they know - and that they would vote to rejoin if a new vote took place

Ok, best of three it is then.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st April 2024, 11:04 AM

Ok, best of three it is then.

We don't need a referendum to form closer ties to the EU, via SM, Norway-style deal etc etc.
The majority see the sense in it now and Labour will be pushing against an open door.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st March 2024, 10:17 AM

Bad news for people with pacemakers.