I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,759

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th March 2024, 1:14 AM

WTF is this then.......................

Your complaint about the term "rapid unscheduled disassembly" was posted at 0830 GMT. The launch took place at 1325 GMT. I was watching the pre-launch livestream with the rocket still perched on the pad while you were posting about its failure.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th March 2024, 1:14 AM

seeing the knob has had three Space X rockets fail.

Quote: lofthouse @ 14th March 2024, 4:37 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaand it's gone

It's the largest, most powerful rocket ever built, and the pace of its development is breathtaking. This mission had always planned to splash both stages into the ocean, and that's exactly what happened. They attempted two controlled descents into the water, and they nearly completed both.

According to Musk, the first mission had a 50% chance of exploding on the pad, but it didn't. The second mission corrected all the first mission's flaws and was lost while attempting an extremely difficult hot-staging maneuver. Today's launch pulled off the hot staging perfectly and also executed many tricky engineering maneuvers for the first time. These are test flights, and the engineers will correct the mistakes with the next launch. SpaceX failed in its first few attempts to land its reusable Falcon 9 rockets, but now they stick the landing every time and it has proven to be the world's most reliable launch vehicle. Clearly, NASA expects the Starship platform to be an equally reliable workhorse, as they have chosen it for manned lunar landings just a couple of years from now. Starship will almost certainly be the ride of choice for the inevitable manned landings on Mars.

SpaceX continues to do incredible things. Worldwide, there have been 48 successful orbital launches this year, and 25 of them were accomplished by SpaceX. They're better at launching spacecraft than every country in the world combined.

Quote: DaButt @ 15th March 2024, 4:51 AM

Your complaint about the term "rapid unscheduled disassembly" was posted at 0830 GMT. The launch took place at 1325 GMT. I was watching the pre-launch livestream with the rocket still perched on the pad while you were posting about its failure.

SO?! I didn't realise a launch was imminent, owing to the fact I couldn't give a toss - what you're saying is then, that the previous failures (and there seems to be more than three, as I first thought)........................

https://www.reuters.com/technology/space/spacex-starship-launched-test-flight-texas-after-last-one-blew-up-2023-11-18/#:~:text=The%20launch%20was%20the%20second,four%20minutes%20after%20lift-off.

................don't count in your tally up, just because you happen to be watching the latest one after I had posted (Jayzus! as you say in Americky) - why don't you read what I said, before your usual knee-jerk reaction thus setting our resident "I read the news today oh boy!" thread ranter into an apoplectic spewing of unjustified criticism, which his tiny mind finds hysterical, and is the norm for him

I see Herc's back.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th March 2024, 9:14 AM

I see Herc's back.

You're not wrong, and by god it feels good. 😆

I love the smell of Napoleonism in the morning

"Apoplexy Now"

Yes mate

But your original post was made BEFORE it had actually taken off

Hence my mirth

Unless you are clairvoyant?

In which case, please accept my heartfelt conflibularities

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th March 2024, 10:52 AM

Yes mate

But your original post was made BEFORE it had actually taken off

Hence my mirth

Unless you are clairvoyant?

In which case, please accept my heartfelt conflibularities

You are not my mate - in fact far from it, and yet again you haven't read my post or my reply to DaButt, whereby there were numerous SpaceX failures, which is what I was referring to with me not giving a toss about any present ones.

Furthermore, I consider "conflibularities" an insult, unless you do not know the true meaning of the word, just because you heard it in Blackadder and liked the sound of it

Ahhh go boil yer 'ead

Mate 😘

You made a prat of yourself - just take the shame

It happens to us all

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th March 2024, 11:42 AM

Ahhh go boil yer 'ead

Mate 😘

You made a prat of yourself - just take the shame

It happens to us all

That's right, resort to childish insults, which is about the level of your intelligence, and next time you're in front of a mirror, take a look to see what a prat looks like.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1768219989146767360/pu/vid/avc1/1280x720/-sMJtue9pBE49um0.mp4?tag=12

"Scum"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th March 2024, 9:01 AM

SO?! I didn't realise a launch was imminent, owing to the fact I couldn't give a toss

It's highly unlikely that you read a news article about previous Starship launches four or five hours before an upcoming launch, yet the article didn't mention the imminent launch. It was a very momentous and widely watched test flight.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th March 2024, 9:01 AM

what you're saying is then, that the previous failures (and there seems to be more than three, as I first thought).......................................don't count in your tally up

No, there have been three Starship launches: one last April, one last November, and the one this week. None have been 100% successful, but all three exceeded initial expectations, and recorded data has allowed each test to be far more successful than the one previous. This is how launch vehicle tests work: fail and improve until successful. As the article you posted said: "There's not money and patience for unlimited tests, but for a vehicle that is so different and so big, two, three, four, five tests is not excessive."

I follow the space launch business very closely, and my posts aren't "knee-jerk reactions", they are an attempt at setting the record straight. SpaceX stands head and shoulders against any other company's (or country's) space launch capabilities. They're safer, they're innovating more quickly, and they're launching more spacecraft and putting more satellites into orbit than anyone.

I watched the first of the Starlink satellites fly above my house. A long line of them crossing space.
If it had not been on the news, you'd be sure it was aliens invading.

Quote: DaButt @ 16th March 2024, 4:50 AM

It's highly unlikely that you read a news article about previous Starship launches four or five hours before an upcoming launch, yet the article didn't mention the imminent launch. It was a very momentous and widely watched test flight.

Who said anything about "reading" about it? It was an item on the television the night before (in the evening of Wednesday 13th March - just to make that clear!!) , about exposing the ridiculous and stupid gobbledygook verbose executive speak "Rapid unscheduled disassembly" for the simple one word "explosion" that everybody would understand.

AND THAT is what I was talking about - f**k all to do with the imminent launch, or any others.

Quote: DaButt @ 16th March 2024, 4:50 AM

I follow the space launch business very closely, and my posts aren't "knee-jerk reactions"........................

So you see, your post WAS knee-jerk reaction, because you didn't read mine properly, resulting in the common problem these days of someone (you) taking my post totally out of context!

You didn't even think to yourself for one moment "Oh, he's not talking about rocket failures", thereby pulling the chain of ***thouse and his load of shite.

***thouse

Haha :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th March 2024, 9:23 AM

Who said anything about "reading" about it? It was an item on the television the night before

It makes no difference, but I'll modify my original reply: "It's highly unlikely that you r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ watched a television news report about previous Starship launches f̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ the night before an upcoming launch, yet the a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ news report didn't mention the imminent launch."

the ridiculous and stupid gobbledygook verbose executive speak "Rapid unscheduled disassembly" for the simple one word "explosion" that everybody would understand.

Are we being charged by the syllable? What's wrong with an extra two descriptive words? They actually describe the event much better than "explosion", as any explosion comes after the rapid, unscheduled disassembly of the rocket due to the extreme G-forces experienced when the launch vehicle begins tumbling while traveling hundreds/thousands of miles per hour.

You used to sell cameras, right? There are single-lens reflex cameras, large format cameras, video cameras, and instant cameras. etc., but I wouldn't be offended (and besmirch your countrymen - as you did mine twice) - if you referred to them in more descriptive terms, even if it's easier to just say 'camera'.

AND THAT is what I was talking about - f**k all to do with the imminent launch

Your first response was to point to a news article about that morning's launch, so I think we could be forgiven for thinking otherwise and for responding as we did.

You didn't even think to yourself for one moment "Oh, he's not talking about rocket failures"

But you were talking about rocket failures! That's what your original post concerning "rapid unscheduled disassembly" was all about! That simply can't be denied.

I thought you were posting about the upcoming launch (and part of me still does, owing to the circumstances), so I simply corrected you by stating the fact that the spacecraft had yet to launch. Even if you were wrong, who cares? What bothers me is that your original post was a dig at Americans (even after I pointed out that the phrase is commonly used by everyone in the industry - Brits included), and it was followed by another dig at Americans. Stuff like that, along with angry rants and bolded words, only serves to deter many people from poking their heads into these forums. Sometimes I feel as if I should do the same.

It's okay DaButt, I think the nurses have been hiding Herc's medication again

He'll tire himself out soon 😆🤣