I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,404

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 13th January 2014, 6:46 PM GMT

Not funny RC...the poor kid lost his life.

Yep, his parents saw to that.

The coroners report slated the organisers for lack of fitness assessment prior to the trip and the fact there were was no medical emergency plans in place, they had nothing but an unequipped coach!...had the parents known this they wouldn't have sent him...but yes, let's blame them.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 13th January 2014, 7:43 PM GMT

The coroners report slated the organisers for lack of fitness assessment prior to the trip and the fact there were was no medical emergency plans in place, they had nothing but an unequipped coach!...had the parents known this they wouldn't have sent him...but yes, let's blame them.

I can and will blame the parents along with this kid's delusional notion that he was fit enough to even attempt an adventure holiday in the desert.

The reason I paralleled it with Marathons is because the onus on whether you are medically fit enough to do one is on you, not the organisers.

This wasn't a random bus crash that claimed many innocent lives, all of the other kids on the trip were fine. There probably weren't any medical emergency plans as they'd never needed them in the past.

There is one and only one contributing factor to this tragedy and that lies with the boy's fitness and his parent's lack of guidance in allowing their out of shape son to even consider going on a trip of this kind.

But that would mean blaming themselves for their son's death and that is unthinkable in this day and age.

I expect they are blaming themselves. Anyone would, even if it wasn't their fault.

Quote: zooo @ 13th January 2014, 8:11 PM GMT

I expect they are blaming themselves. Anyone would, even if it wasn't their fault.

Due to his overall lack of fitness, pre-existing medical condition and obesity, he could just have easily died on a family holiday to Spain.

As we get bigger and bigger as a society, we're going to be seeing a lot more of these cases and there's only so much blame to go round.

Apart from natural empathy with, I am going on the 'facts' as reported in the article. The organisers were slated by two coroners and tellingly, those same organisers have now put new safety measures in place. It could have easily have happened to someone slimmer, who just couldn't tolerate the heat, who had an undiagnosed heart condition etc etc. His weight was an issue, yes, but the report states he could have been probably been saved had there been emergency care nearby...but there wasn't any.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 13th January 2014, 8:24 PM GMT

It could have easily have happened to someone slimmer, who just couldn't tolerate the heat, who had an undiagnosed heart condition etc etc.

That is certainly true and again, if you are a parent of a child who might be susceptible to this kind of injury, you wouldn't let them wander around the desert in the baking heat.

'The cause of Samuel's death was either exertional heatstroke and/or hyponatremia - a condition where salt levels are reduced in the blood because of excessive intake or retention of water, the inquest at Bromley Civic Centre heard.'

Should his health have been assessed before he went? Definitely. Was it up to the organisers to assess his health? Not necessarily. Getting hold of medical information is notoriously difficult and any assessment wouldn't have revealed the massive intake of water that killed him.

A lack of ambulance didn't kill him, wandering around the desert when he shouldn't have been there did.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 13th January 2014, 8:43 PM GMT

Should his health have been assessed before he went? Definitely. Was it up to the organisers to assess his health? Not necessarily. Getting hold of medical information is notoriously difficult and any assessment wouldn't have revealed the massive intake of water that killed him.

I have done a fair amount of wandering in the Wilderness and I have always self-certified. Presumably the company could have done more, but it isn't clear what from that article.

Fat does not necessarily equal unfit. In fact recent studies seem to suggest that someone who is fit but overweight is healthier than a normal weight sedentary person.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but guns make it too fecking easy.

What would have been a punch-up became a fatality.

Florida man shot dead in cinema texting row http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25726591

There's a new app that lets you watch commentaries on the film you're watching at the movies.

Oh dear it could to a massacre.

Quote: billwill @ 14th January 2014, 12:03 PM GMT

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but guns make it too fecking easy.

What would have been a punch-up became a fatality.

Florida man shot dead in cinema texting row http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25726591

Just had a conversation about this on Facebook. My conclusion: The argument was descending into a physical encounter. In one corner, you had a father of a three year old, in the other an elderly man. In a fist fight, the younger man could easily kill the 71 year old. Someone was going down and the retired cop made sure he would be walking out of there alive.

Lots of punch-ups result in fatalities, especially when pensioners are hit by younger people.

Wouldn't expect it of an ex policeman. You'd think he'd be well used to not reacting emotionally in an altercation. What a psychopath.

I love the way you mention he is a father of 3.

His fertile testicles and energy spent chasing after kids has turned him into a veritable superman.

Quote: sootyj @ 14th January 2014, 1:34 PM GMT

I love the way you mention he is a father of 3.

Add the year old as in a father of a three year old. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 14th January 2014, 1:31 PM GMT

Just had a conversation about this on Facebook. My conclusion: The argument was descending into a physical encounter. In one corner, you had a father of a three year old, in the other an elderly man. In a fist fight, the younger man could easily kill the 71 year old. Someone was going down and the retired cop made sure he would be walking out of there alive.

Lots of punch-ups result in fatalities, especially when pensioners are hit by younger people.

Should the elderly man perhaps have then left it alone at some point, or took some other course of action, rather than let the confrontation get to the point where they were going to apparently fist fight over texting, and so then feel the need to shoot him? Did the fact he had a gun mean that he took it that far and to that place in the first place? *SHRUGS* That report isn't that clear on the finer points anyway.