I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,253

A boy - and pulled out 36 minutes before the onset of Leo.

Knew it would be.

The last thing they could have afforded was another Princess Margaret.

Can we have a few more mentions of the word 'gynaecologist'? You know, just for the littl'uns?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=571378482908609&set=a.158752380837890.30101.100001093867107&type=1&ref=nf

Has Prince Charles had another baby or something?

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 22 2013, 11:19 PM BST

Can we have a few more mentions of the word 'gynaecologist'? You know, just for the littl'uns?

I was born in that same hospital
& I was delivered by a Doctor who was also the Queens gynaecologist at the time.
He delivered Wills & Harry as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Pinker

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 22 2013, 11:35 PM BST

& I was delivered by a Doctor who was also the Queens gynaecologist at the time.

I wondered what that silver handle poking out of the corner of your mouth was.

I was too polite to mention it tho'.

8lb 7oz, that's a pretty big baby, always amazes me how we are almost forced to get so hung up though on how much a baby weighs, every oz gained or lost in those first few months seeming to be of the utmost importance, wish more midwives / Health visitors would just tell new mothers to just relax and enjoy it.

Actor Dennis Farina has died. :(

RIP

Quote: Horseradish @ July 22 2013, 11:05 PM BST

The last thing they could have afforded was another Princess Margaret.

The best Royal of the lot by miles, the only one to bring real style to the family. Cost us a few quid but worth it. Harry a little bit similar but too constrained by the media and rabid moralisers.

There was a four hour gap between it being born and announced to the world. Cue conspiracy theories about foundlings and lizard people and how it was faked by NASA.

& I was delivered by a Doctor who

You don't suppose youre a secret spare illegitimate heir to the throne?

Like King Ralf?

Right. The only thing that makes the baby special is being a very, very, very, very distant descendent of some a-hole barbarian who beat some other a-hole barbarian in a war (where thousands would have died).

Then, having won the war, the a-hole barbarian put a crown on his own head and said "We won, because God chose me" (rather than it being because they had more men, or longer spears and stuff).

And when I say 'distant descendent', I mean it. Ignoring the fact that during the course of nearly a millennia, you will have roughly 2^40 ancestors, and the fact that many illegitimates must have been crowned pre-DNA-testing (e.g. Edward IV - although his bloodline died at the end of the WotR), the lineage is so disjointed through the right of conquest and political/religious shenanigans anyway. For instance, after Queen Anne more than FIFTY of her closest heirs were over-looked for being Catholic before they got to George I. FIFTY!

They may as well pick this overly-privileged baby, from a completely out-dated institution, completely at random.

Will/Kate seem like nice enough people. Congrats yadda, yadda. Let them get on with it, and stop turning 90% of the world's news into what is, frankly, just another facet of celebrity ("posh celebs").

If immature 15-year-old American girls want to revel in their Prince fairytale fantasy, shove it in the glossy gossip mags where it belongs.

Frankly, the Saxe-Coburg/Gotha ("Windsor") family is such a non-entity in British peoples' lives, that most don't even care enough to become republicans. Apathy rather than resentment is the over-riding tone.

However, the delirious crowds outside every royal event (which will generally be the same people each time, and representative of a fraction of 1% of the population - plus tourists) make it appear from the outside that we're all mental.

Quote: SimonWing @ July 24 2013, 4:51 AM BST

Apathy rather than resentment is the over-riding tone.

The trouble with being angry about it, is that enough anger=news, which gives the papers something to write about.

Perhaps if enough of us felt strongly enough about it, we could start a campaign to boycott the news while it covered non-stories.

I think its fundamentally apathy, but that spills to anger if it's repeatedly forced down peoples' throats.