I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,243

:D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jun/29/hospitals-throw-away-quarter-of-food

Maybe part of the problem is that people in hospitals are sick and often just don't feel like eating. Not sure ordering food for the day in the morning would help. You could be feeling ok in the morning but by the time lunchtime/dinnertime comes you might be feeling crappy depending what tests and medications you've had.

Everywhere throws away a ton of perfectly good food. Supermarkets especially. I saw some news report that one supermarket (can't remember which one) had finally realised it might be a better idea to give the food they throw away to the homeless. Hopefully other companies will follow suit.

Believe it or not, Reds, this would actually be an improvement. Any hospital I've been involved with, you have to order the day before! This also means meals can be ordered for somebody who may actually be discharged by the time it comes for the lunch/dinner.

We have the same discussion here in Switzerland.

Quote: zooo @ June 30 2013, 11:24 AM BST

I saw some news report that one supermarket (can't remember which one) had finally realised it might be a better idea to give the food they throw away to the homeless.

But no supermarket is that reasonable yet.

You'd think the Co-operative would do it. They're always going on about how moral and caring they are.

Quote: zooo @ June 30 2013, 11:34 AM BST

ยจ They're always going on about how moral and caring they are.

Yeah, like the pharma industry.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 30 2013, 11:38 AM BST

Yeah, like the pharma industry.

I like their ham.

I like their violets

I like their nay.

Quote: zooo @ June 30 2013, 11:34 AM BST

You'd think the Co-operative would do it. They're always going on about how moral and caring they are.

Yeah, and at their prices they must have a lot of unsold produce .

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/07/01/18/00/nsw-girl-lied-about-abduction-sex-assault

The girl in this case is very young and possibly doesn't understand the effects the accusation could have on an inncocent persons life. However I have read of cases where adults have accused someone of sexual assault and it was either proved it did not occur or the accuser admited they had made it up.

Given that an accusation of something so serious can destroy someones life, even if they are innocent, do you think the accusor should face criminal charges if it is proven they made it up?
^For the purpose of the question the accusor does not have any sort of impairment that may reduce their understanding of their action.

Quote: reds @ July 1 2013, 2:44 PM BST

Given that an accusation of something so serious can destroy someones life, even if they are innocent, do you think the accusor should face criminal charges if it is proven they made it up?

Absolutely, if the crime is so heinous, to maliciously accuse someone of it should be punished proportionately heavily.

Quote: reds @ July 1 2013, 2:44 PM BST

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/07/01/18/00/nsw-girl-lied-about-abduction-sex-assault

The girl in this case is very young and possibly doesn't understand the effects the accusation could have on an inncocent persons life. However I have read of cases where adults have accused someone of sexual assault and it was either proved it did not occur or the accuser admited they had made it up.

^For the purpose of the question the accusor does not have any sort of impairment that may reduce their understanding of their action.

Ethically yes, but practically no.

Because the thought of punishment would tend to prevent such people from owning up and couls well cause the innocent victim to be found guilty.

However even with existing laws I suspect the victim could sue the false accuser for damages.

I think people like that can get prosecuted for wasting police time etc.