I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,237

Quote: Nogget @ June 20 2013, 3:00 PM BST

Tins are great for some things, like tomatoes, but less good for things like meat, where the contents can be distinctly dubious; but I don't want open that can of worms.

Tins are good for tinned tomatoes.
Wouldn't fancy a cheese and tinned tomato roll, much.

I just have a thing about the inability to cook putting people at the mercy of the processed food people & supermarkets.
Especially for people with f**k-all money to start with.
It always strikes me as ironic that cooking from scratch & with cheap cuts etc is now only seen as a middle class/Nigel Slater sort of thing.
Barmy.
They should teach it in school.

Quote: Lazzard @ June 20 2013, 3:36 PM BST

It always strikes me as ironic that cooking from scratch & with cheap cuts etc is now only seen as a middle class/Nigel Slater sort of thing.
Barmy.
They should teach it in school.

They do, don't they?

My kids have learnt all kinds of useful stuff, like how to make an apple crumble. Delicious! :)

(semi-ironic here)

In actual fact, I used to dread their cookery days at school, because the list of ingredients was always so bloody awkward and so bloody expensive.

We always did weird recipes and boring nutritional stuff that nobody cared about or took in, in Home Economics. Never anything simple and useful like how to boil potatoes or make a homemade pasta sauce or a Sunday roast or something.

My kids can cook, but being kids they prefer to make things like cakes, brownies, or banoffee pie.

Quote: billwill @ June 20 2013, 2:35 PM BST

the ones in the tin do not go mouldy or grow roots or turn poisonously green.

;)

Does that chat up line ever work with daleks?

Quote: billwill @ June 20 2013, 2:35 PM BST

the ones in the tin do not go mouldy or grow roots or turn poisonously green.

;)

Does that chat up line ever work with daleks?

Quote: zooo @ June 20 2013, 4:07 PM BST

We always did weird recipes and boring nutritional stuff that nobody cared about or took in, in Home Economics. Never anything simple and useful like how to boil potatoes or make a homemade pasta sauce or a Sunday roast or something.

Exactly.
it's all bloody cornflake cakes and learning what a vegetable is.
If people knew how to make a stock from a roast chicken, a family could feed themselves for three days off a medium chicken.

EDIT.
This is not doing my diet any good.

There was a school on the news recently where they made food for the homeless in class, so they were learning to cook, and doing something amazing too. Oh it warmed the cockles, so it did.

(They did not serve the homeless cockles.)

http://www.economist.com/node/18440801

If there's one subject that should be banned in school, it's home economics - they teach bugger all that's useful and the teachers are bad-tempered bitches - I think it must be part of their training. Show me a good home economics teacher and I'll show you a blue moon.

Well it should be improved, not banned!

My HE teacher was a very, very scary old woman. But we went back to school a year or so after we left and she was bloody lovely. It's all an act!

Quote: zooo @ June 20 2013, 10:40 PM BST

Well it should be improved, not banned!

My HE teacher was a very, very scary old woman. But we went back to school a year or so after we left and she was bloody lovely. It's all an act!

No, no, no! They are selected for training because they are warped arses.

And, by the way, I'm talking about young ones.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Nude-men-rumour-claims-1-more-life/articleshow/20696252.cms

erm if you go to India keep your trousers on?

Quote: keewik @ June 20 2013, 10:34 PM BST

If there's one subject that should be banned in school, it's home economics - they teach bugger all that's useful and the teachers are bad-tempered bitches - I think it must be part of their training. Show me a good home economics teacher and I'll show you a blue moon.

I actually learnt a lot... I know how to sew so I don't have to buy new clothes all the time, and I know how to bake healthy good food. It was a good 16 years I was there, but it's all in my noggin.

Quote: L.E. @ June 21 2013, 11:08 AM BST

I actually learnt a lot... I know how to sew so I don't have to buy new clothes all the time, and I know how to bake healthy good food. It was a good 16 years I was there, but it's all in my noggin.

You're basically living in the 1930s

Quote: L.E. @ June 21 2013, 11:08 AM BST

I actually learnt a lot... I know how to sew so I don't have to buy new clothes all the time, and I know how to bake healthy good food.

You're a good woman.