I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,185

If Thatcher had still been in power and people hated her, I could more understand them being happy/gleeful that she'd died and the 'tyranny' was over (so to speak). But being happy she died after all this time just seems a bit weird to me.
But each to their own, and all that!

Quote: Pingl @ April 8 2013, 6:44 PM BST

the damage she did to this country was extraordinary, we are still feeling the repercussions now. The sad thing is her policies won't die with her

This.

I won't be watching any of the many tribute programs that are bound to be on for weeks.

It's people from her era that are polarized, she was loved as well as hated.
I personally detested everything about her and what she stood for, but as for gloating over her death, I have to admit I am actually glad and if I wasn't an atheist I would ask gods forgiveness, as it stands the best I can do is face the Top Rank Bingo and offer a mutter.

Quote: zooo @ April 8 2013, 6:50 PM BST

If Thatcher had still been in power and people hated her, I could more understand them being happy/gleeful that she'd died and the 'tyranny' was over (so to speak). But being happy she died after all this time just seems a bit weird to me.
But each to their own, and all that!

I don't think people, by and large, are gleeful. It's more a reminder of what she did and all the gushing we'll hear about her rankles with a lot of people...but, I suppose, you had to be there.

Quote: Sinon @ April 8 2013, 6:56 PM BST

all the gushing we'll hear about her rankles with a lot of people...but, I suppose, you had to be there.

This

Quote: zooo @ April 8 2013, 6:25 PM BST

Oh noes. A load of Thatcher tribute TV shows are going to be on tonight. THIS BETTER NOT AFFECT BROADCHURCH.

It depends on whether the twist at the end revealed Thatcher was the one who killed the kid. In which case, re-shoots might be in order.

Now that would be awesome.

You had to be there to fully appreciate just how divisive she was. You either loved her or hated her, I hated her and did everything I could to get her out of power, but many loved her and still do. Time moves on but some wounds scar and people don't forget or forgive, mind you that is very different from wanting someone dead, I just hope people when paying tribute remember the harm she did as well as any good. She was an extraordinary politician, and a very lucky one, she chose her enemies well, and no one could deny she was a trans formative politician, for good or bad is of course a matter of opinion, in my opinion her legacy is pure poison.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 8 2013, 6:59 PM BST

It depends on whether the twist at the end revealed Thatcher was the one who killed the kid. In which case, re-shoots might be in order.

Yeah, he died of brittle bones.

If you are interested how it felt to be on the left during Thatcher's era I recommend John O Farrell's 'Things Can Only Get Better.' It perfectly evokes the period from the point of view of a ground level Labour Party supporter.

When we used to have a labour party.

Quote: Sinon @ April 8 2013, 7:17 PM BST

When we used to have a labour party.

Indeed Teary

Quote: Tursiops @ April 8 2013, 6:35 PM BST

I reached the same point with Blair as I did with Thatcher, where just the sound of the voice had an affect on me like fingernails being scraped down a blackboard.

I think it was Clive James who said she had voice like a perfumed fart.

Maybe this is what is truly meant by the Tories burying bad news, considering that this is the day that they start a full scale persecution of the disabled.

The cuts will supply their own headlines, you can suppress its implementation but there will no disguising its consequences.