I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,184

Quote: Tursiops @ April 8 2013, 6:27 PM BST

And preferably Scottish.

Well that's fair enough. ;)

It's Satan I feel sorry for, he must be running out of room.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 8 2013, 6:11 PM BST

She was no Hitler only because she never got the chance

No we had to wait for New Labour to get some proper genocide.
Blair deserves as much if not more opprobrium.

I don't really know much about the miner's strike, but what would have been the point of keeping unprofitable mines open?

Quote: Lazzard @ April 8 2013, 6:33 PM BST

I reached the same point with Blair as I did with Thatcher, where just the sound of the voice had an affect on me like fingernails being scraped down a blackboard.

Quote: Badge @ April 8 2013, 6:32 PM BST

There is no hell

When you die you create your own personal hell of your own guilt and self loathing if you have been an evil twat when on the earth

I'm guessing the arrogant sod assumes she never put a foot wrong during her reign of tyranny , so she is probably at peace as we speak ....

Quote: Ben @ April 8 2013, 6:34 PM BST

I don't really know much about the miner's strike, but what would have been the point of keeping unprofitable mines open?

A solution could've be found but neither side would budge.
Scargill was every bit the self-serving git as Thatcher.
The two of them were made for each other.

Quote: Lazzard @ April 8 2013, 6:33 PM BST

Maybe

But the Tories would have backed Bush to the hilt over Iraq if they had been in power at the time instead

Anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or a liar

If don't know anything about the issue at all why do you then presume that reason was that the mines were non profitable?

Quote: Tursiops @ April 8 2013, 6:27 PM BST

And preferably Scottish.

Yes. I wish you hadn't said that - I've been trying hard not to join in the 'Let's burn her corpse' movement. But for all the Tories who think she's wonderful, she's the reason there's only 1 Tory MP in the whole of Scotland.

Quote: Ben @ April 8 2013, 6:34 PM BST

Arguably energy security; it is incredibly expensive to reopen a closed mine, though world energy prices have now risen to the point where this is being actively considered in some cases.

Lazzard Blair was and remains a zealot. However as his intervention in Bosnia was crucial and earned him world wide plaudits, he was always going to do it again.

So Thatcher is gone. All those marches I went on, all that time spent hating her, all that youthful anger. I can't help remembering Elvis Costello's stamp the ground down. How do I feel now? Well I'm not going to rejoice at the death of anyone, even Thatcher. Frankly compared to the bastards we have in now she was a pussycat. However, the damage she did to this country was extraordinary, we are still feeling the repercussions now. Blair was Thatcher's child, no Thatcher no Blair. Thatcher didn't get the country she wanted anymore than Attlee did. The sad thing is her policies won't die with her, if anything this is more hardline Thatcherite country than it ever was under Thatcher.

Most mines weren't, actually, unprofitable... And certainly the coal produced here was cheaper the the coal she imported. The miners' strike, for Thatcher, was about taking away rights from working people by destroying the strongest union. The current lot are continuing to dismantle workers rights.

Quote: Badge @ April 8 2013, 6:32 PM BST

>_<

Quote: lofthouse @ April 8 2013, 6:36 PM BST

There is no hell

When you die you create your own personal hell of your own guilt and self loathing if you have been an evil twat when on the earth

I must be in mine now.