US Election Page 11

Off to have lunch with my Obama-voting parents. They agree with me on pretty much every point I've made thus far, by the way.

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 4:12 PM GMT

What actually is a spud gun?

70/80s toy. Push into potato, it pulls pellet-size spudett out, fire at friends. :)

The Splurg gun from Bugsy Malone was cool too.

Quote: zooo @ November 5 2008, 4:15 PM GMT

I quite liked Clinton, I must say.

I liked Clinton too. But Like Jonathon Ross, he could be his own worst enemy.

I don't think I'd ever want to carry a gun.

A sword on the other hand...

I think DaButt is OK. We are all pals here as far as I'm concerned, even *****, although he makes it difficult sometimes with his middle-class twattish-ness!!! But his mum and dad had him and there you go! I guess they thought it would be OK!

***** = 'wots-a-name'

Spud Gun

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 4:15 PM GMT

But I do think that Obama has great symbolic value, especially to vast swathes of the American population who, up until now, have felt ignored and marginalised. Let them have this moment.

I thought that about Powell and Rice gaining high office, but the yanks keep on blundering around the World killing folks and using up vast resources and pollutin' and stuff, and causing global financial crises, etc.

This moment is in fact, just that.

The old adage is, show me what you've done, don't tell me what you're gonna do.

Quote: Eat My Shirts @ November 5 2008, 3:59 PM GMT

DaButt, can you please share with us your religious views so that I can laugh at you even more?

You seem to be ticking all the boxes as far as the 'Typical Republican' checklist is concerned. Wave

London has more violent crime than New York.

We need zero tolerance policing. It actually helps the unfortunate minor criminal.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 5 2008, 4:19 PM GMT

I think DaButt is OK. We are all pals here as far as I'm concerned, even *****, although he makes it difficult sometimes with his middle-class twattish-ness!!! But his mum and dad had him and there you go! I guess they thought it would be OK!

***** = 'wots-a-name'

Are my ears burning?

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 5 2008, 4:16 PM GMT

70/80s toy. Push into potato, it pulls pellet-size spudett out, fire at friends. :)

The Splurg gun from Bugsy Malone was cool too.

Spud guns. We had 'em in the '60's too. Great with a very hard spud, you could hurt babies and small children quite easily. Pea shooters too, were good for this.

Quote: Griff @ November 5 2008, 4:22 PM GMT

All of us five-character usernames are starting to wonder now, Frankie...

Frank has five letters too! ;)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 5 2008, 4:28 PM GMT

Spud guns. We had 'em in the '60's too. Great with a very hard spud, you could hurt babies and small children quite easily. Pea shooters too, were good for this.

Laughing out loud Pea shooters were great, especially with frozen peas.

We're rude about Americans, but we Europeans were industrially murdering each other up until 1945.

It was the Marshal plan, and the firm smack on the legs over Suez that allowed us to live in peace.

We should be grateful and respectful of a country that has avoided internecine conflict since the 1850s.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 5 2008, 4:21 PM GMT

Spud Gun

I'm disappointed. I was hoping it fired entire potatoes. :(

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 5 2008, 4:28 PM GMT

Spud guns. We had 'em in the '60's too.

You were playing with a spud gun when you turned forty then?

That do ya?

Quote: sootyj @ November 5 2008, 4:33 PM GMT

That do ya?

It lacks the grace and artistry of the spud gun.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 5 2008, 4:29 PM GMT

Laughing out loud Pea shooters were great, especially with frozen peas.

Homemade bits of wood with grooves chiselled into them were good. You stretched back those thick black rubber bands on to them and flicked them off, stung like a bastard too.