US Election Page 10

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 2:46 PM GMT

Makes sense to have chip shops in vans. Icecream buying season is over, so they need to diversify.

Probably the most important point to come out of this thread, well done Chip. Incidentally, will ice cream men diversify their music as well. Perhaps, instead of the 'Roger Ramjet' theme they could play something by Hot Chip or 'Frying without wings.'

I believe I can fry? When doves fry?

There's a man down the chips swear's he's Elvis.

Quote: DaButt @ November 5 2008, 3:22 PM GMT

Not at all. I was only marginally in favor of McCain. I would have voted for Obama but I saw no substance behind the aura.

Of recent US presidents, going back thirty to forty years, who do you think has had substance?

Clinton, fat bastard!

Quote: sootyj @ November 5 2008, 3:42 PM GMT

Clinton, fat bastard!

They're all pretty stocky. That's why Obama stands out. He's still got a midriff.

Quote: DaButt @ November 5 2008, 3:22 PM GMT

Not at all. As many Englishmen have observed, they feel safer here than in their own country. But the inner cities, slums and drug/gang-ridden areas are dangerous. And I was in one of those areas in Los Angeles (Rolling Stones concert in 1989) when a man tried to force his way into my car and was turned back by my friend with a gun. I had no idea he was (legally) armed, but he may have saved my life.

DaButt, can you please share with us your religious views so that I can laugh at you even more?

You seem to be ticking all the boxes as far as the 'Typical Republican' checklist is concerned. Wave

Let's be nice to each other please!

Political threads are always a bit heated, but we don't have to get too personal.

(to each other anyway. We should slag off the politicians as much as we like...)

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 3:45 PM GMT

They're all pretty stocky. That's why Obama stands out. He's still got a midriff.

That will change when he starts tucking into those banquets! Yum!

I have no problem with Da Butt carrying a gun, providing he changes his sig to "gun totin' yank" so we all know where he's coming from.

If I could carry a gun legally, I might well do so - providing it were legal to shoot people in self-defence in the UK.

It's OK for Gordon Brown to 'carry' a number of 'guns', as it happens. One law for them, one for us.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 5 2008, 4:09 PM GMT

If I could carry a gun legally, I might well do so - providing it were legal to shoot people in self-defence in the UK.

It is. But only with a Staple or Glue Gun.

Spud has to be my fave.

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 3:41 PM GMT

Of recent US presidents, going back thirty to forty years, who do you think has had substance?

I wouldn't rate any of the presidents over the last 30 years as "bad."

Carter: nice, but weak and ineffective
Reagan: a strong leader, in the vein of what Obama hopes to be
Bush: boring
Clinton: decent, too much ego
Bush: well-meaning
Obama: ?

Obama has been a senator for less than 4 years and was not remarkable in his performance. I think he has the potential to be very good president, but has not earned the accolades he has thus far received.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 5 2008, 4:11 PM GMT

Spud has to be my fave.

What actually is a spud gun?

Quote: Eat My Shirts @ November 5 2008, 3:59 PM GMT

DaButt, can you please share with us your religious views so that I can laugh at you even more?

You seem to be ticking all the boxes as far as the 'Typical Republican' checklist is concerned. Wave

Agnostic. And all of what I typed above is demonstrably true.

Quote: DaButt @ November 5 2008, 4:12 PM GMT

Bush: well-meaning

Yikes!

I quite liked Clinton, I must say.

Quote: DaButt @ November 5 2008, 4:12 PM GMT

Obama has been a senator for less than 4 years and was not remarkable in his performance. I think he has the potential to be very good president, but has not earned the accolades he has thus far received.

I agree with you. The English politician Enoch Powell said all political careers end in failure. He's right. Even Winston Churchill got turfed out of office just after leading us to victory in World War II. But I do think that Obama has great symbolic value, especially to vast swathes of the American population who, up until now, have felt ignored and marginalised. Let them have this moment.