Hmmmmm

Does anybody want to actually write comedy, or is this forum just for talking about wanting to write comedy... a sort of good willed fan club for the deranged and outspoken?
I mean there have been several posts on here about wanting to team up with others, yet the majority of replies are all focussed around the opinion that people HAVE to meet up and collaborate face to face, otherwise everything is doomed, which is an insane statement to make, given that in todays world, you can hook up a connection on skype or tango and have a video chat, which is about as close to physically being there as you can get without actually being there.
It's like having a phone conversation... with moving pictures... a friend, in the same room as you, but trapped inside a little screen... which, if had happened several hundred years ago would be deemed as witchcraft, which is basically the stance of this forums patrons today.
Technology is, aside from being brilliant, very eco friendly, as I don't have to jump into my 1970 Rover P5B, V8, 3.5 Litre gas guzzler to chew the fat over who or what should have the living sh*t ripped out of them, and as computerised writing is electronic, there is also no need to waste paper writing everything down and signing it (which murders trees), as video calls can be recorded and typed work can be logged.
Yes... admittedly, there is nothing like being there, which should happen from time to time, but it's like with animating... my animator lives 30 miles away, and we both have day jobs, so using things like drop box, YouTube and skype saves time, money and the environment.
So... does this site actually have a use? does it work? or is it just another useless place where the self opinionated egomaniacs of the world can observe and criticise the efforts of those who do, or at least try to do.
I'm not Jerry Springer... so take care of yourselves.... Aaaaaaand your mothers.

Quote: Mungo Dunno @ May 25 2013, 7:19 PM BST

Does anybody want to actually write comedy,

I don't think so, no.

a sort of good willed fan club for the deranged and outspoken?.

:|

Quote: Jinky @ May 25 2013, 7:48 PM BST

:|

i can only call it how I see it jinky

I'd say it works. I've found various people to collaborate with on different projects through the BCG and various people to have a drink with.

I would say that the advice is generally only as good as the person giving it. There's a lot of speculation on here so it's worth checking out who is the person writing a comment. There's a few people on here who've been employed full-time by the BBC so I would listen to them a lot. And there's others who's comments need to be taken with a generous helping of NaCl.

It just needs that one writer with a 'can-do' attitude to get stuff done, regardless of the tack taken. Unfortunately, most writers don't have that (admittedly I am probably one of them).

Dan

does it work?

Well, it's the Writers Discussion section of a much broader Forum.
And writers discuss stuff on it - so it works.
Is it the best place to try to find writing partners?
Probably not.
Have you responded to these requests?
How did it go?
You have a blank profile so we don't know what it is you want from the site - or what you have to offer.
Me - I've had some good discussion, some good advice, helpful critique.
And a lot of bullshit, too.
The trick is to learn which sources to trust.
Tell us who you are and it might help us understand your problems with the site, apart from the fact that some members disagree with you about remote writing partnerships.
FYI I've done both and remote working is highly unsatisfactory.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 29 2013, 11:06 AM BST

Have you responded to these requests?
How did it go?

You have a blank profile so we don't know what it is you want from the site - or what you have to offer.

FYI I've done both and remote working is highly unsatisfactory.

K.....

Well yes, I have responded to these requests, and the fact that I've made this post should go some way to answering how it went... like a bacon butty at a bahmitzvah would about sum it up though.

I wouldn't have thought that my profile would make a difference, but I take on board what's said so I'll have a go at editing it.

As for remote working, it's like I said, on skype or tango, you are technically "live" with the other person, so it's a question of do you gel or not.