Tips for New Comedy Writers Page 4

Quote: George Kaplan @ May 21 2013, 12:55 PM BST

You bastard I don't smoke a pipe

Quote: George Kaplan @ May 21 2013, 12:55 PM BST

It kind of loses the joke if we can tell it's a stock photo.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 21 2013, 1:39 PM BST

I kind of loses the joke if we can tell it's a stock photo.

Looks like a pineapple to me.

But as if it would be a model with leaves so out of control.
That's just unreal surreal.

Be nice!

Quote: garyd @ May 21 2013, 1:46 PM BST

Be nice!

Sorry, just trying to help your comedy, I s'pose.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 21 2013, 1:39 PM BST

It kind of loses the joke if we can tell it's a stock photo.

Yes, but personally I can sleep better at night knowing that there's a picture library somewhere if I ever need a photo of a pineapple smoking a pipe at a moment's notice. But that's just me, I suppose.

Laughing out loud sootyj

You bunch of funded heads you get juice from a pineapple not stock

None of you know anything about soup

Quote: sootyj @ May 21 2013, 3:48 PM BST

You bunch of funded heads you get juice from a pineapple not stock

None of you know anything about soup

Just because you grew up on chicken soup!

I remember once hearing of a pseudo-measure about how long before internet comments end up referring to the Nazis. I think we should have a different system for here:

Number of posts:

2 - Opinion turns against person who has been relatively succesful at comedy writing

3 - Reasons are put forward for this success, none of which are 'person is good at writing comedy'

7 - View is cited that the reason poster hasn't acheived similar success is because 'those in charge' aren't looking for things that are funny

15 - Random nonsense

29 - A stock photo appears and ignites a caption contest

Laughing out loud

15 should be 8-28.

Quote: StephenM @ May 22 2013, 2:13 PM BST

I remember once hearing of a pseudo-measure about how long before internet comments end up referring to the Nazis. I think we should have a different system for here:

Number of posts:

2 - Opinion turns against person who has been relatively succesful at comedy writing

3 - Reasons are put forward for this success, none of which are 'person is good at writing comedy'

7 - View is cited that the reason poster hasn't acheived similar success is because 'those in charge' aren't looking for things that are funny

15 - Random nonsense

29 - A stock photo appears and ignites a caption contest

36 - Someone comes up with a pseudo-measure on how internet posts are organised.

Ho-hum, what a waste of words...

37 Pilchards.

StephenM: I think this is a good thread. People put forward their opinions, argued--like people do all the time. But nobody launched any personal attacks. What you call nonsense I see as a polite, intelligent way of diffusing any tension that may have built up because the topic became quite heated.

It smells like someone jizzed in to a bag of Fritos and then threw it at the Christmas tree' is funny.

My tip to all new sitcom writers is get rid of (nearly) all such lines - lines that get a 'laugh' out of context.

(Unless, of course, you're a famous stand up.)

A good rule is not to post in threads like this unless you want to come across as an arselick, a bitter wannabe or a sanctimonious killjoy...

>_<