Tips for New Comedy Writers Page 2

That's some solid advice your loss if you don't read it

Jeez... it's all good advice, and from someone who's actually working with three actual proper industry prodcos, presumably on new ideas (hence the only one script).

And the presents thing is fair enough. After 'can you write funny?' the next criteria from every producer I've ever met is 'are you a wanker?'. Being nice helps gets you further.

It's also more likely she was either asked by Chortle or pimped by Rocliffe to do the interview too, than deciding to seek glory herself.

Quote: spinningdoc @ May 17 2013, 4:23 PM BST

Being nice helps gets you further.

Very true. It also probably explains why so much recent comedy is vanilla flavoured.

Because you can't be professional *and* write dark comedy?

Quote: spinningdoc @ May 17 2013, 5:35 PM BST

Because you can't be professional *and* write dark comedy?

I think we'll end up quibbling over the definition of 'professional'.

Anyway, here's my new guide to being a comedy writer.

1- Write down a few puns.

2- Open an account with Interflora

3- Get a Thorntons points card

4- Sit back and mentally start composing your BAFTA speech.

Wow, there's some bitter rubbish in this thread.

Firstly bear in mind it is aimed at 'new comedy writers'. If you're not preparing to write your first script, or even wondering whether you should give it a go, the article is not for you. It's for absolute beginners, and it's a good article for those people. It doesn't make sense to attack it because it's no help to such a grizzled and experienced writing veteran as yourself.

Secondly, Jinky, she starts not by shouting "look how great I am", but by establishing who she is and what point she is at in her career. She's not a household name so she needs to do this. It's not boasting, it's just giving the reader a reference point.

Thirdly, it's good advice! Even the maligned 'be nice' bit is good, and true across the board. People don't want to work with arseholes.

Why mention that she has a 'pretty face'? It's completely irrelevant unless you believe she's achieved any success because of her looks, which is comically bitter.

To borrow Sootyj's words.

Quote: sootyj @ May 17 2013, 2:11 PM BST

That's some solid advice your loss if you don't read it

Quote: MCharsley @ May 18 2013, 11:21 AM BST

I don't have an ounce of bitterness in my body, trust me on this.

In fact, you seem the angriest poster on the thread!

Don't know why, because 'choccies and niceness' have totally beaten 'interesting comedy' into submission. It's your world.

Hug

Oh right.

I don't have an ounce of bitterness in my body, trust me on this.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

https://www.comedy.co.uk/profile/jinky/

I've got no problem with the article, but it should be said that lots of studies have shown that attractive people get on better in life, so it may well be that 'have a pretty photo' is quite good advice, and that's not to diminish this person's achievements in any way.

But I suppose the most obvious thing to say is

Be brilliant
Be persistent
Be lucky

Quote: MCharsley @ May 18 2013, 11:21 AM BST

Firstly bear in mind it is aimed at 'new comedy writers'. If you're not preparing to write your first script, or even wondering whether you should give it a go, the article is not for you. It's for absolute beginners, and it's a good article for those people. It doesn't make sense to attack it because it's no help to such a grizzled and experienced writing veteran as yourself.

Secondly, Jinky, she starts not by shouting "look how great I am", but by establishing who she is and what point she is at in her career. She's not a household name so she needs to do this. It's not boasting, it's just giving the reader a reference point.

Thirdly, it's good advice! Even the maligned 'be nice' bit is good, and true across the board. People don't want to work with arseholes.

Why mention that she has a 'pretty face'? It's completely irrelevant unless you believe she's achieved any success because of her looks, which is comically bitter.

I'm not angry at the girl for showing off her success; I'm angry at Rocliffe for giving new comedy writers completely misguided aspirations purely so they can entice more paying entrants next time around.

Quote: Your Mum @ May 19 2013, 12:39 AM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Blimey. A sockpuppet account on the BCG.

I didn't think anybody on here knew how to do this sort of thing.....

(It's not really my mum but I have a pretty good idea who it is. He's a bit of a tragic figure....)

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 19 2013, 12:20 PM BST

I'm not angry at the girl for showing off her success; I'm angry at Rocliffe for giving new comedy writers completely misguided aspirations purely so they can entice more paying entrants next time around.

What are the misguided aspirations? She entered a competition, won (let's assume by merit), and now she's developing 3 sitcoms. It's not the only way in but it obviously works for some people.