Sitcom ideas wanted by new production company

We're currently on the lookout for a great sitcom idea that we can develop and pitch to the networks.

We have a strong track record with producing promotional content for some of the major film studios and we have now decided to switch our focus on trying to get a sitcom off the ground.

In the last couple of weeks we have managed to get a few professional freelance writers with professional sitcom BBC experience to join our team and the next step for us to find three great ideas, which we'll eventually narrow down to one.

If we choose your sitcom to develop then there will be two options. If we feel as though you're a strong writer then we will invite you to join our writing team to work on the project. If we are keen on your idea but not your writing then we will offer you a buy-out deal for the concept, which would come into effect if the show got commissioned.

We're expecting a very high response to this post so if you're interested in putting your ideas forward please adhere to the following pointers.

1.Please only submit one idea ONLY - This should be the very best idea that you have. Please do not submit more than one idea.

2.Please NO MOCK DOCUMENTARIES or anything related to the media industry. Mock Docs have been done to death and we have been strongly advised to ignore any media related sitcom for our first project.

3.Please do not try and call us directly or send emails to follow up the progress of our decision.

Due to the number of submissions we're expecting we cannot get back to anyone who we have not shortlisted and we will disregard the submission of anyone who tries to call us or email us to follow up.

If we have short listed you then we will get back to you by 15th April 2013, if you do not hear from us by this time then it's likely that your submission has been unsuccessful.

4.If you're interested in submitting your work then please send describe the idea in no more than two paragraphs only. If you would like to submit part of a script then please don't submit more than 2 pages.

5.Please do not submit your idea if you feel uncomfortable with not being the writer on the project.

As this is a new venture for us we need to make sure that we have flexibility with whatever idea we choose to develop. If we see a great idea, but we're not happy with the script then we need the option to buy the idea and work with our own writers.

If you're interested in submitting your idea then please email us at development@seriously-funny.com.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Wouldn't it have been easier to hire freelance sit-com writers who were able to come up with their own ideas?
Odd.

At the risk of sounding glib, have you tried asking your TEAM OF PROFESSIONAL FREELANCE WRITERS WITH BBC SITCOM WRITING EXPERIENCE whether they have any ideas?

Quote: Lazzard @ March 28 2013, 3:53 PM GMT

Wouldn't it have been easier to hire freelance sit-com writers who were able to come up with their own ideas?
Odd.

Sorry Lazzard - just reiterated your point pretty much word for word! Started writing it ages ago but had to spend ages deleting all the swears before it was postable. Still, I'll leave it there to really ram home the point..!

It's the good ideas that are priceless.

Sent mine.

I sent one, what's to lose?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ March 28 2013, 5:22 PM GMT

The rights to your own work by the sound of things.

EDIT: Sorry, that's a bit unfair. I think, though, that applicants would want to clarify for how long the company hold the rights and how they will be credited.

I can't decide if to send in my very best idea or half a dozen crap ideas.

This opportunity would sound more genuine if the company actually had it's own web site.

Quote: Jeremy Dillon @ March 28 2013, 6:33 PM GMT

This opportunity would sound more genuine if the company actually had it's own web site.

Is this not it?

http://www.seriously-funny.com/

Quote: Jeremy Dillon @ March 28 2013, 6:33 PM GMT

I can't decide if to send in my very best idea or half a dozen crap ideas.

Well they specifically say only send one idea, so there's a clue there for a start.

And they're genuine enough - they just seem to want their cake and eat it.

"If we are keen on your idea but not your writing then we will offer you a buy-out deal for the concept, which would come into effect if the show got commissioned."

I can't improve on that, that's comedy platinum.

Looks like it's this chap again:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/26957/

They are expecting you to take a lot on trust, but it would be a great opportunity to take a gamble ...

Or to submit your second best idea. :)

If you really have it in you to become a sitcom writer, you need to be brimming over with ideas in any case.

The most important thing is not the idea, it's the execution. Ideas are easy, making them into something great is not.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 28 2013, 8:01 PM GMT

The most important thing is not the idea, it's the execution. Ideas are easy, making them into something great is not.

I've got an idea that you should be executed.

These guys don't even know that the accepted abbreviation of 'Mock Documentary' is 'Mockumentary'. HOW CAN WE TRUST THESE PEOPLE WITH OUR PRECIOUS IDEAS?