How funny was The Comic Strip Presents? Page 10

Quote: lofthouse @ October 15 2011, 1:37 PM BST

I really like that woman that played Cherie Blair

She's great

What was it? A pillar box?

Oooooh

Bit harsh !

So was it actually - you know - funny? Or just the usual smartarse snideyness?

Well that's the thing

I find most of the CSP films aren't remotely funny

But this one actually was

Not hilarious

But funny

And it looked great too!

Plus Jack from Still Game played Gordon Brown!!

Result

I thought it was very funny. Really enjoyed it. Just the right mix of unhinged and reality. Good old satire, the way it's just not done any more - well. I heard a rumour that there are more to come, and I hope it's not unfounded if they're of that quality. Great stuff.

Hmmm ... I'm trying to find a copy of the 2005 episode ...Sex Actually, 1. because I've never seen it and 2. because it's the only episode missing from my collection. Anyone got any ideas where it can be found?

I was seventeen when Comic Strip Presents first aired and loved it from the off. Some episodes outshone others, it's true, but the odd lines are inadvertently quoted almost as often as Python! Most people don't have a clue what I'm talking about, of course...

Many thanks...

I expected this to be a bit of knockabout silliness like Strike but it was a very biting piece of grotesque satire like Gilray. Blair as the unflappable sociopathic murderer was terrific stuff.

The Comic Strip was never laugh-out-loud funny (mostly). The problem in doing parodies is that if the viewer doesn't recognise what is being parodied then unless you have things which are funny in themselves the whole episode is a flop.

I think they got lucky. Right place at the right time. It was a time when new comedy was needed, it was a time when a medium became available and it was also a time when more young people were starting to go to university. Comedy was going to be the new rock and roll and the search was on for the new Monty Python.

Whilst some of the episodes are mildly amusing surely this is something you look for in a sitcom more than a comedy? Comedy without laughs is like tragedy without tears. Some of it is very clever, but it isn't very funny.

If anyone can tell me what "Susie" was parodying, by the way, I'd be eternally grateful.

Quote: youngian @ October 29 2011, 8:36 PM BST

I expected this to be a bit of knockabout silliness like Strike but it was a very biting piece of grotesque satire like Gilray. Blair as the unflappable sociopathic murderer was terrific stuff.

You seem to have them the wrong way round.

Strike was a biting satire on English politics and the depridations of the US film industry.

The Tony Blair thing was a passably funny, but awfully dated and with nothing very clever to say.

All the rather feeble attempts to satirise Blair have in my view just left him stronger.

Just seen an advert for a new CSP show.

Five Go To Rehab

But it's on GOLD.

So I can't watch it

Arse crisps

Sounds interesting, but like you I don't do pay TV. For a cracking famous five spoof try John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme. Actually, I can't recall whether it was the episode still available on iPlayer or the previous week, but the show is worth listening to anyway.

The famous five ones weren't that great IMO.

I'd prefer to see what Bad News are up to these days!

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door was an all-time classic. The Yob was bollocks.

Hmm

In theory The Yob should have been great.

Alas as you say, bollocks pretty much covers it.

They were never as funny as they thought they were. Mostly good ideas but never fully realised.