Jimmy Savile Page 17

Quote: Aaron @ October 8 2012, 7:01 PM BST

Didn't they bury him under a thick layer of concrete? Like they used to do with suspected vampires.

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ October 8 2012, 6:32 PM BST

I wait for Renegade to tell me.

If only that were true.

Didn't Jimmy used to get some famous pop groups to record the Jim'll fix it theme tune?

I bet he was devastated when he found out Musical Youth were all male

Fackin rotter

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2012, 6:44 PM BST

I'm of to his grave with a shovel to strip him of his jewellery

Now there's a good way to recompense the victims, at today's gold prices, they'd be in for a bonanza payout.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2012, 7:04 PM BST

Entirely serious they looked on knowing he was almost certainly carrying on his wicked ways.

And waited till he was thoroughly dead before bleating for profit.

I despise the deification of victims in our society.

I just cannot believe this: we're talking about vulnerable children here, who were so frightened and intimidated during Savile's lifetime that they dare not speak out in public.. plus, the fact, allegedly, that many DID report it to parents/teachers etc., but were rebuffed and in some cases even punished for daring to accuse such a "kind goodly man" of such crimes.. and let's face it, they were crimes. This male-oriented reaction of "you must take responsibility for your own actions/inactions", turning the focus of blame back onto the female victim is an anachronism that should be locked firmly away in the vaults of the annals of history. I, for one, hope they (the victims) get all the money they can get.. and that Savile's estate is broken up and redistributed, so that in death, unlike in his life, some good may come out of the monstrous acts that he perpetrated.

One more thing: it is mooted that the BBC may hold an inquiry into the allegations of sex crimes within its walls. This must NOT be allowed to happen: the BBC must NOT be left to investigate itself. An outside independent body must be commissioned to do that job, for reasons that I hope are abundantly clear.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ October 8 2012, 7:26 PM BST

One more thing: it is mooted that the BBC may hold an inquiry into the allegations of sex crimes within its walls. This must NOT be allowed to happen: the BBC must NOT be left to investigate itself. An outside independent body must be commissioned to do that job, for reasons that I hope are abundantly clear.

This precisely. Labour presided over an awful anti-BBC whitewash, the opposite cannot be allowed to happen now.

Noel Edmonds should have set a honey trap for Savile on his House Party show.

Would have been the best GOTCHA ever.

It would certainly be interesting to discover who took the decision to shelve the Newsnight expose and go with the hagiography instead, and what thinking went into that decision.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ October 8 2012, 7:26 PM BST

I just cannot believe this: we're talking about vulnerable children here, who were so frightened and intimidated during Savile's lifetime that they dare not speak out in public.. plus, the fact, allegedly, that many DID report it to parents/teachers etc., but were rebuffed and in some cases even punished for daring to accuse such a "kind goodly man" of such crimes.. and let's face it, they were crimes. This male-oriented reaction of "you must take responsibility for your own actions/inactions", turning the focus of blame back onto the female victim is an anachronism that should be locked firmly away in the vaults of the annals of history. I, for one, hope they (the victims) get all the money they can get.. and that Savile's estate is broken up and redistributed, so that in death, unlike in his life, some good may come out of the monstrous acts that he perpetrated.

They had a moral duty to speak out.

All it takes for evil to flourish is for men of good conciense to stand idly by.

I don't think they should be punished for standing idly by and moral cowardice.

I do think those that didn't actively speak out at the time or with too little conviction. SHould be punished for necrophiliac greed.

I'm not having this. Your little sidestep to extricate yourself from the huge hole you dug for yourself has not passed me by. You first wrote:

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2012, 3:57 PM BST

And as for all these whining victims coming out from the woodshed. Who said nothing whilst he was alive and allowed others to suffer.
I'd make them give their Daily Mail payments to charity and have them flogged.

To which I replied, words to the effect of: are you serious? To which you replied:

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2012, 7:04 PM BST

Entirely serious they looked on knowing he was almost certainly carrying on his wicked ways.

And waited till he was thoroughly dead before bleating for profit.

Note that we were talking about the victims here.. and then you turned it around as if you were talking about the complicit onlookers who knew but did nothing, not the victims to whom you were originally referring.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2012, 7:42 PM BST

They had a moral duty to speak out. All it takes for evil to flourish is for men of good conciense to stand idly by.

I don't think they should be punished for standing idly by and moral cowardice.

I do think those that didn't actively speak out at the time or with too little conviction. SHould be punished for necrophiliac greed.

The victims should not be lambasted. "Those who stood idly by" is another matter. Nice try, but no cigar.

A society that forgives an absence of moral fortitude, forgives its own demise.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

All it takes for evil to flourish is for men of good conciense to stand idly by.

Sexist.

Once more the big picture is obscured by some bureaucratic cul de sac . Enquiries taking years to state the obvious, a general culture of blame and buck passing. This is a live issue not some abstract tragedy from the past. Abuse is as prevalent today as in the seventies, a gang has just been caught in Rochdale. But what is society outraged by, the BBC had a pedaphile working for it, shock horror, there were then and probably still are, they are in every strata of society. The issue is, in our society do we find this kind of behaviour morally acceptable, not in any other part of the world, but in ours. This is a problem that needs real money spent on it, not through pointless enquiries into dead celebrity's, but in social services, Police investigations, giving social workers real power to intervene, not simply pandering to the some politically correct manifesto that never solved anything. Jimmy Saville was a sick depraved pervert, but he is dead, his victims aren't and many more victims of child abuse need real help, lets direct energies and resources there.

They had a moral duty to speak out.

And Jimmy Savile had a moral duty to not abuse vulnerable young girls. Due to the circumstances, I would imagine that some of the girls were made to feel complicit in the abuse - the gifts of cigarettes, booze, rides in his posh car, etc. - and therefore didn't come forward at the time.

I don't think blaming the teenage victims is justified because as we've seen recently, it took a huge amount of effort for the police to investigate the Muslim sex gangs who used a similar modus operandi - and this is in present day Britain involving non-famous individuals.

I don't blame them for being abused.

I don't blame them for not speaking out at the time (albeit it's unfortunate).

I do blame them for taking advantage of the collective fascination with perversion after Jimmy was dead.

I blame our society for its sick fascination with their suffering.