Should I get Father Ted? Page 4

You can watch a load of episodes (all of series 2 and 3) of it on 4OD for free, or on Channel 4's YouTube account.

Yes!

I didn't watch it when it was originally on, but I find it very funny.

:D best show ever.I have the complete boxset.never get tired of it. http://www.fathertedquotes.co.uk

Quote: chipolata @ August 8 2011, 11:50 PM BST

Although the show is great I don't really rate the DVD itself. Could have been designed better.

Well I've got it now - a bargain in a charity shop and I think I know why.

However much I try I can't see beyond episode 2 on any disc without having to watch the whole thing. Obviously a fault in the design of the menu screen. Bastards.

Still as I'm off work sick at the moment I didn't mind watching all series one in one hit.

Quote: antomc @ June 30 2012, 3:26 PM BST

:D best show ever.I have the complete boxset.never get tired of it. http://www.fathertedquotes.co.uk

Did you or sanyone ese have the same problem?

Quote: Chappers @ September 6 2012, 8:16 PM BST

Well I've got it now - a bargain in a charity shop and I think I know why.

However much I try I can't see beyond episode 2 on any disc without having to watch the whole thing. Obviously a fault in the design of the menu screen. Bastards.

Still as I'm off work sick at the moment I didn't mind watching all series one in one hit.

Did you or sanyone ese have the same problem?

I have a similar thing in my "The New Statesman" box set. You can't access the episodes directly. If you want to see...let's say episode 4 you have to go to the general chapter menu and skip through every chapter of every episode before it. Annoying!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 9 2011, 6:09 PM BST

Great sitcom with a maybe few variable quality episodes, were these from the first series, can't remember. Don't remember a bad episode but the odd slightly saggy scene or two with Dougal being stupid did make me think it was filler at times. Sometimes it looked to me like these bits were stock silly bits that could have been used in any episode. So I see where technical criticism is coming from. No sitcom though is perfection.

Having said that, when they got it right, they got it very right, because I remember several classic episodes where everything seemed to work like magic. Got a feeling these were in the later series, so it's probably something to do with mastering the form. Wasn't this the writers' first sitcom? But yes, absoultely worth buying, even at 18 quid.

This. Ted is wonderful but the BCG review is about right, if slightly over-critical. Ted is flawed, like any other comedy. But the good bits are so good that you shouldn't really give a feck.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 7 2012, 12:51 PM BST

the BCG review is about right,

Is it hell! Hang your head, Henman. The review is definitely leaning too far into the negative.

Is it right or is it over-critical? Make your mind up Lee!

The DVD navigation is truly awful.

I have to say like Henman I agree with the BCG review (I didn't write it). There are a fair few bits and pieces that don't come off. A couple of the episodes do drag or are under-written (New Jack City springs to mind).

One reason why people might not agree with this is over-familiarity. I can't remember a time when I wasn't familiar with with the characters and it's now almost impossible to watch any clip of it without feeling warm and cozy and laughing in advance at the jokes.

But you can get a sense of it cold by listening to the studio audience. There are a few bits that misfire per episode. Nevertheless there are plenty of moments that are simply as funny as anything ever produced before or since so it's an easy decision whether to buy it or not.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 7 2012, 4:22 PM BST

The DVD navigation is truly awful.

So what did you do? Watch it one go?

Which version do you have? I don't remember any difficulties with mine, unless I've blanked them:

No - not that one. It's got a photo on the front of the 4 of them and is on 4 DVDs.

DVD1 - Series 1. 6 eps
DVD2 - Series 2 part 1. 6 eps.
DVD3 - Series 2 part 2. 5 eps.
DVD4 - Serries 3. 8 eps

Dated 2001 and £4.99 from a charity shop so I'm not complaining too much.

Yes.
Despite the fact that the BCG guide doesn't.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 7 2012, 7:06 PM BST

Which version do you have? I don't remember any difficulties with mine, unless I've blanked them:

That's the one I've got and it's a pain in the arse getting to the episode you want. You have to page through the previous episode to get to later ones. Great show, cockeyed DVD.

Quote: Chappers @ September 7 2012, 7:53 PM BST

No - not that one. It's got a photo on the front of the 4 of them and is on 4 DVDs.

Is it the same picture as in the BCG's overview on the left? If yes, then I have the same box. But I don't have these big difficulties to access the episodes although the menu is a bit...well...stupid.

Quote: Chappers @ September 7 2012, 7:53 PM BST

Dated 2001

Hmmm, mine says 2002.