Movies / Television vs Real Life Page 4

I've been pulled over by the police several times while driving - for either a random breath test or an ID check (depending on which country I'm in) and they never maliciously smash my headlight when I protest my innocence.

Quote: Nogget @ September 5 2012, 2:03 PM BST

In movies, people get violently killed all the time, but rarely does anyone go to the toilet. Maybe if they answered the call of nature more, they wouldn't feel like killing each other so much.

Tell that to Vincent Vega.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 5 2012, 3:54 PM BST

No one ever asks or is told how much a drink is in American films. The barman hands them a beer and they just throw some dollars on the table and walk off.

That's because of tipping.

In movies when people turn on the TV there is a programme on. In real life you turn on the TV and it's 27 mins past the hour so you get adverts on every f***king channel...

Quote: Kenneth @ September 5 2012, 5:38 PM BST

I've been pulled over by the police several times while driving - for either a random breath test or an ID check (depending on which country I'm in) and they never maliciously smash my headlight when I protest my innocence.

Ok, same here...but we both don't live in America.

In movies...at least in "Ronin"...the villains can make car chases shooting out of the window at the same time and destroy a whole urban area without the police getting in their way.

Bartenders spend most of their time polishing glasses.

In the bedroom:
The same sheet covers a women up to her neck and a men up to the waist. L shaped sheets?
Clothes hastily removed before sex are uncrumpled when put back on.
When a woman wears a man's shirt, it always comes down to just below her bum, regardless of difference in body size.

Everyone in America uses brown paper bags to put their shopping in, usually containing oranges,eggs and with a french stick poking out of one. At some point one of the bags breaks and a beautiful stranger helps to pick up the shopping.

I already mentioned in another thread how I hate it when in films or sitcoms people suddenly start to sing and dance with music from the off...aka musical scenes. That never happens in my life! (And thank God for that!!!)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 5 2012, 9:45 PM BST

I already mentioned in another thread how I hate it when in films or sitcoms people suddenly start to sing and dance with music from the off...aka musical scenes. That never happens in my life! (And thank God for that!!!)

Try the 24hr Asda Wolverhampton at 3 in the morning . . . .

Quote: Loopey @ September 5 2012, 7:30 PM BST

Everyone in America uses brown paper bags to put their shopping in, usually containing oranges,eggs and with a french stick poking out of one. At some point one of the bags breaks and a beautiful stranger helps to pick up the shopping.

Ha, so true. I always imagine whatever's in those brown bags will be really appetising, and it annoys me that we never get to see all of the stuff, just a carton of milk being put in the giant fridge, then some action happens and the bag is left on the side, contents frustratingly out of view...ruins the whole film for me Angry

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 5 2012, 9:45 PM BST

That was a regular routine by the Australian comedy group, The Chasers.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 5 2012, 5:53 PM BST

Tell that to Vincent Vega.

That memorable scene shows that if a film-maker bucks the trend, it can produce cinematic gold. Whenever I think of Travolta now, it's either dancing farcically to the Bee Gees, or getting wasted on the shitter. Similar activities, really.

Quote: Withal Spackster @ September 5 2012, 5:55 PM BST

In movies when people turn on the TV there is a programme on. In real life you turn on the TV and it's 27 mins past the hour so you get adverts on every f***king channel...

That always winds me up to. Especially when they go 'quick turn on the news' and the news reader always says 'that story again...giant stoats are attacking Brooklyn Bridge' and then the news reader's voice suddenly fades itself down as the people continue their phone conversation.

Selective environmental volume also bugs the crap outta me. People have conversations in incredibly loud pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, rock concerts, helicopters, whatever and soon as they start talking, the noise gets mysteriously turned down.

In real life, when someone shows you a photograph of their wife and kids, they don't immediately take a fatal head-shot.

Boy meets girl, they hate each other, but at the end of the movie, they're in love. Most of my relationships went precisely the other way.

Most behaviour displayed by men in romantic comedies would be considered stalking in reality.

Everyone in Albert Square - and I mean everyone - has a bastard kid they secretly gave up for adoption 18 years ago. Said kid not only goes back to visit their Mum / Dad - each one moves in, lives in Albert Square and then has their own bastard kids that they secretly give up for adoption.

The bigger the budget on a CGI blockbuster, the worse the black and white photoshopped picture of the hero. They can make you believe that giant robots are destroying an entire city, but that framed photo of the hero meeting President Nixon looks like it was cut out with round tip scissors and pasted on with sellotape.