Small Scenes (From Odd Stories) R4 sketch show opp Page 2

The Pilot was great.

And unlike Newsjack, which needs to be topical/very recent news, this can have any subject, just comedy sketches.

I'll be sending Tuesday night after a bit of an look over and possible edit tomorrow.

After listening to both Newsjack and Small Scenes, I can sort of see the difference in the material. Small Scenes is exactly that. Little snatches of life...almost as if you're walking down a road and looking into different windows as you go past. Each one has a bit of life going on in there, but we don't see the full story...just that little glimpse as we pass and move on to the next window.

Lots of fun.

I was up until 3am last night redrafting my sketches.

I'm pleased with what I've written, although due to the inevitable deluge of submissions, I can't see myself earning a credit.

Quote: groovydude89 @ September 5 2012, 1:35 PM BST

I was up until 3am last night redrafting my sketches.

I'm pleased with what I've written, although due to the inevitable deluge of submissions, I can't see myself earning a credit.

Yep...looks like there are loads to sift through. Still...it's all practice and a lot of fun!

Submitted my two sketches this morning - wish they'd accept more, it was really good fun writing for this. The 'looking in a window' analogy someone mentioned seems spot on - writing something that seemed like a scene from something larger was kinda where I went - opened up a lot of ideas for me, and really helped in keeping things short.

For anyone still not following Simon on twitter (https://twitter.com/gonzolikesyou) it seems he got 271 emails for a total of around 520 sketches. He's so far made the following observations from what he's read:

1) a lot of sketches are set in restaurants.
2) a lot of sketches featured a man finding his wife cheating
3) a depressing number have been straight TV ports (putting SFX before a lengthy description of visual action does not make a radio sketch)
4) Some of the references seemed weirdly out of date. (Ally McBeal poped up twice in 20 minutes!)

So A) there's a lot of competition. B) if you wrote a visual sketch about a man finding his wife in a restaurant cheating with Ally McBeal you're probably out of luck...

Still chosen or not, it's warmed me right up for newsjack.

I sent in two but had trouble with my formatting at the last minute and may have messed up the look (not sure if he said anything about a particular format). On the up side I steered clear of Ally McBeal, restaurants and visual descriptions :)

I sent one in. It's the old waiting game now.

Hah...yes, I saw the Ally McBeale and cheating wives in restaurants tweets! Also the overuse of FX and visuals. He's got a point about that. It keeps your mind going round. Inspiration is great, wherever it comes from. Looking forward to hearing the next installment!

In the most recent Halloween Sitcom Trials, the best F/X cue I've ever seen was:

F/X: BABS AND VELVET STARE, NONPLUSSED.

Such a big laugh from me for so many reasons...

Dan

Is this a one off - or does he have a series of shows commissioned?

Series commissioned already.

Dan

Darn. Missed it.

That'll teach me not to visit BCG opps forum for a couple of weeks!

Quote: swerytd @ September 6 2012, 11:28 AM BST

Series commissioned already.

Dan

And was this a one-off call for the whole series - or the first of several?
Sorry for the barrage of questions - but I annoyingly missed this.

One off for the whole series, I suspect. As it's non-topical, it's more RFTP than Newsjack. ie. all at once.

Dan

With Newsjack you have half an hour of opportunity a week. With R4TP you had 180 minutes of opportunity all at once. But these are open-door shows. Which this isn't - it is a predominantly commissioned show with a small open-door opportunity.