Small Scenes (From Odd Stories) R4 sketch show opp

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere here so in case people have missed it: Simon Mayhew-Archer was tweeting last week about Small Scenes (From Odd Stories) a sketch show he's producing and he's happy to look at non-commissioned material.

Important rules are:
* Deadline is noon 5th Sept
* You can submit max 2 sketches
* No more then 3 pages a sketch
* Sketches must fit show style

To help with the last Simon's uploaded the pilot some details of what he's looking for:

Link via his twitter here: http://twitter.com/Gonzolikesyou/status/237912122544254976

- Submissions should be sent to his email (firstname.lastname@bbc.co.uk)
- People were asking questions on twitter so check there for some tips if you're unsure what's going on. (Or you know, ask below for group advice!)

P.S. Follow simon on twitter. Seems a good way to keep in the know.

Additional info: Look through Simon's Twitter timeline to find a link to where you can listen to the pilot.
This is essential, as the humour is a certain style.

Although more people will submit to it as its R4, its so much better that new writers have more exposure than <i>Newsjack</i>.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 30 2012, 7:51 AM BST

Although more people will submit to it as its R4, its so much better that new writers have more exposure than <i>Newsjack</i>.

For "new" writers, do you really think size of audience is that important? I appreciate for estabished writers that would be the case. The experience of writing for radio, a BBC credit, and an exposure to the commissioning/editing process I would rank as equally high between this show and Newsjack. I think new writers value the long standing open-door programmes regardless of the channel and I think it's great that Small Scenes has decided to call for submissions. Should Newsjack be on Radio4 (not extra) is a different question - but I appreciate the BBC want to develop the content in their digital channels and quite rightly so - it is the future!

Alison

If you really want to get into comedy writing, shouldn't you be sending stuff into both?

In terms of career progression, I'm stumped as to how there's a difference between the two, but there's probably a conspiracy theory I missed the memo about.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 30 2012, 7:51 AM BST

?

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ August 30 2012, 12:25 PM BST

If you really want to get into comedy writing, shouldn't you be sending stuff into both?

In terms of career progression, I'm stumped as to how there's a difference between the two, but there's probably a conspiracy theory I missed the memo about.

I'd send to both. I have listened to both and I'd be inclined to submit to either.

I imagine Tim Azure meant it's better that new writers have more than just one show to which they can submit.

But don't let that get in the way of a damn good flame war!

Quote: Joyce @ August 30 2012, 12:49 PM BST

I'd send to both. I have listened to both and I'd be inclined to submit to either.

Exactly. Regardless of audience size, they are both well-written, funny shows, and I think it's a good idea to attach yourself to good writing wherever you can. The pilot episode of Small Scenes was brilliant, and I'm definitely going to try to get featured.

Write your best stuff and send it to the right people. Simply put: send to both shows.

I've entered a couple for this. The pilot sounded great. I'll like it even more if I get featured :)

I liked the pilot and sent a couple in.

I suspect though it could be another "Talking and not Talking"

Quote: sootyj @ August 30 2012, 4:30 PM BST

I liked the pilot and sent a couple in.

I suspect though it could be another "Talking and not Talking"

What do you mean by that? Sorry being thick.

A sketch show that asked on BCG for open submissions and was swamped.

There's a reason that Newsjack is on briefly.

Some poor sod has to read all the drivel that gets sent in.

Loved the pilot.