Small Scenes (From Odd Stories) R4 sketch show opp Page 3

So you submit once for the whole six shows? No weekly deadlines? No chance to send in something else for the next episode? I'm confused!

Tends to be that way with most non-topical shows.
They like to get us much buttoned down as early as possible - allows them to edit and balance the shows so you don't end up with one stinker!

Ah...okay. Well that gets me out of having to worry about another deadline speeding towards me! Thanks for the info.

Yeah, my point was more than any non-topical submissions for shows are generally 'one batch of sketches for the whole lot, well in advance' and the weekly Newsjack submissions system is more the exception than the norm.

Dan

Quote: Hennell @ September 5 2012, 4:00 PM BST

For anyone still not following Simon on twitter (https://twitter.com/gonzolikesyou) it seems he got 271 emails for a total of around 520 sketches. He's so far made the following observations from what he's read:

1) a lot of sketches are set in restaurants.
2) a lot of sketches featured a man finding his wife cheating
3) a depressing number have been straight TV ports (putting SFX before a lengthy description of visual action does not make a radio sketch)
4) Some of the references seemed weirdly out of date. (Ally McBeal poped up twice in 20 minutes!)

I used a restaurant in one of my submissions, but so far as I recall, there was no cheating, or any telly stuff or any anachronisms.

F/X: BABS AND VELVET STARE, NONPLUSSED.

That's fantastic!

On the deadline front - yeah this was the one chance, but hopefully they might open it up again if they get another series. (Probably depends how well the submissions for this series went though, and then how well the series is received etc etc)

Yeah, missed it. Damn you, holiday in Cornwall.

I'd rather be holidaying in Cornwall, what exactly have you missed? A chance to get a maximum of two middling type sketches rambled out on an unfunny obscure Radio 4 show on at an ungodly hour when only lonely sailors and the odd vicar will be listening.

Quote: LippyAlison @ August 30 2012, 8:52 AM BST

For "new" writers, do you really think size of audience is that important? I appreciate for estabished writers that would be the case. The experience of writing for radio, a BBC credit, and an exposure to the commissioning/editing process I would rank as equally high between this show and Newsjack. I think new writers value the long standing open-door programmes regardless of the channel and I think it's great that Small Scenes has decided to call for submissions.
Alison

And where does all this get anyone, really, a well paid career with the BBC? A commission for a whole series of your own? A call from Stephen Fry to come and write one of his panel shows? These things are a piddling waste of time of no more benefit than a bit of practice and the occasional false ego boost to wannabe writers living in dreamland.

Well, someone's in a good mood this morning!

Dan

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 8 2012, 9:22 AM BST

These things are a piddling waste of time of no more benefit than a bit of practice and the occasional false ego boost to wannabe writers living in dreamland.

Whilst I don't disagree with you I think you've forgotten just how wonderful it is to be able to say to fit young birds "I write comedy, in fact some of my stuff has been used by the BBC" instead of "I spent all of last year sitting in my pants looking at the internet but I did get a 10 second quickie on a show that very few people have heard of"

I wouldn't go far as to say it's a 'waste of time', though. It's a bit of fun for a few weeks every year.

And where does all this get anyone, really, a well paid career with the BBC? A commission for a whole series of your own? A call from Stephen Fry to come and write one of his panel shows? These things are a piddling waste of time of no more benefit than a bit of practice and the occasional false ego boost to wannabe writers living in dreamland.

Well that is us firmly in our place.

Though frankly anyone who undertakes any form of creative activity purely in the hope of fame and fortune is likely to be disappointed, and to miss out on a lot of fun.

I'd rather be holidaying in Cornwall, what exactly have you missed? A chance to get a maximum of two middling type sketches rambled out on an unfunny obscure Radio 4 show on at an ungodly hour when only lonely sailors and the odd vicar will be listening.

Grump.

I don't care what anyone else thinks...I think it's a lot of fun and brings us all together for a nice chat on the subject. It's a very nice distraction from the more pressing writing projects that can sometimes bog us down. A little light relief is very welcome.

Oooooh! Get Alfie Kipper!

Yes, you're probably right. But, someone out there is writing, performing and producing comedy shows for TV and radio. They didn't just wake up one morning and get handed a prize job at the BBC or Channel 4. 

Maybe it is a waste of time. 
Maybe I have been wasting my f**king life. 
Maybe I'll never get any further than having a few small things performed on open door radio shows. 
Maybe my sitcom will never get commissioned by Channel 4. 
Maybe I'll never be able to jack in my day job and make people laugh. 

But, by doing all this I've had stuff performed on the radio and Yeah, it does impress the chicks (although that's actually a lie). I've met some amazing people, we've written and performed our own show in front of an audience. Now, I get a massive buzz from doing all of this, so it's worth the time and effort. For me. Maybe I can improve the quality of my work so that it's good enough to get noticed and picked up, maybe not. But, if I chuck it all in 'cos it's a waste of time then that definitely won't happen and I'll be forever doomed to go off half cocked at people I've never met 'cos they said something on a web forum that riled me. 

Ah bollox, it's already happened. 

For a college reunion this month I did get to use the line 'I've had some stuff on BBC Radio'. It seemed a lot more interesting than anything else I'd done in the last 10 years.

And I'm curious why on earth you think getting your work read (and possibly liked) by a BBC producer wouldn't help your career? (If that's what you're after). If you don't believe that I don't think this post will change your mind but for others you'll see an interview with Tom Neenan on BBC Writers Room who started out by submitting for a BBC open-door show. There's also a few others who've got a foot in the door by a similar route so it clearly does work.

But hey, I submitted cause I thought I'd like to and others are free to try or not as they so wish.

I remember my first job interview. I said that unless I was going to be made CEO instantly, there was no point going any further.

All these companies and that, they expect you to work your way up the ladder for years. What's the point?

Anyway, I'm off to make a cup of tea. But wait, first I'd have to get up and switch the kettle on. What's the point?