Small Scenes (From Odd Stories) R4 sketch show opp Page 4

And where does all this get anyone, really, a well paid career with the BBC? A commission for a whole series of your own? A call from Stephen Fry to come and write one of his panel shows?

You're not far wrong with any of these.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 8 2012, 9:22 AM BST

I'd rather be holidaying in Cornwall, what exactly have you missed? A chance to get a maximum of two middling type sketches rambled out on an unfunny obscure Radio 4 show on at an ungodly hour when only lonely sailors and the odd vicar will be listening.

What are you implying with your smutty assertion!?

As far as I am aware, the odd vicar services one lonely sailor at a time, never sailors plural.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 8 2012, 9:22 AM BST

And where does all this get anyone, really, a well paid career with the BBC? A commission for a whole series of your own? A call from Stephen Fry to come and write one of his panel shows? These things are a piddling waste of time of no more benefit than a bit of practice and the occasional false ego boost to wannabe writers living in dreamland.

A) Most of us do this because we enjoy writing. B) There have been several people who've been found through things like newsjack and offered the option to work on other things. C) If you go look up the writers from old open shows like weekending, you'll find many people who went on to have careers with the BBC and several series of their own.

Sure two radio sketches won't pay the bills but it gets your name in front of producers, it might serve up other (less open) sketch opportunities and did I mention A)?

EDIT: Also Simons just tweeted saying he's e-mailed all the people from his 'favourite' sketches so if you haven't received anything.. well head to the newsjack thread...

(Anyone want to admit to an email?)

No e-mail to admit alas. Onwards to Newsjack!

None for me either.

Simon has tweeted common themes of good sketches after a question. Might be helpful:

@Gonzolikesyou Obviously individ feedback is ridiculous, but any chance of common themes of the sketches that made the top 50%?

@mausoliam common themes of the good sketches: 1)were written specifically with the show in mind (I.e not a telly sketch v loosely adapted)

2)weren't spoof advert or film trailer. The theme of the show is fairly mundane situations which then take an odd twist...e.g...

...meeting the parents, when you're having to pretend to be a beefeater. 3) were less than 3 pages. 4)original idea.

and 5) contained the name Susan.

Damn the Susan thing! It was the *only* thing wrong with my sketches...

Dan

I've failed miserably, and it's a long way off to beer time. I'll just have to take my frustration out on some poor innocent in the critique section. Laughing out loud

All I need know is for Alfred J. Kipper to say that his sketches have been accepted!

Quote: swerytd @ September 12 2012, 9:54 AM BST

Damn the Susan thing!

I started with Susan but changed it to Suzanne at the last minute.

There's 'rewriting' and there's 'tinkering' and it looks like I did the latter this time.

Yeah, I also asked Simon for a few more details and go the following info:

He says from the ~520 sketches received he favourite around 20 sketches - which I thought seemed kinda low but he pointed out that, 1) A lot wern't suitable for the show - many were spoof adverts, gameshows, film trailers etc and the show/he is quite tricky on what it wants. 2) "I've found 15 or so writers who "got" the show.In X Factor terms, that seems about right.& that's 15 writers who I didn't know before"

Which shows A - Really need to tailor material to the program B -that's not easy. C - If you can you're something special and they will take notice of you.

He also tweeted his "favourite" sound effect from a submission:

"SOUND: ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF BLUR CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN THROUGH THE WINDOWS."

Quote: Hennell @ September 12 2012, 10:35 AM BST

Yeah, I also asked Simon for a few more details and go the following info:

He says from the ~520 sketches received he favourite around 20 sketches - which I thought seemed kinda low

I think that's an extraordinary good hit rate for an open submission - he should be thrilled with that.
Wish I'd f****ing got wind of it in time.
Arse.

No acceptance, but Newsjack never works...

He also tweeted his "favourite" sound effect from a submission:

"SOUND: ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF BLUR CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN THROUGH THE WINDOWS."

Laughing out loud

That is now my favourite sound effect EVER.

He says from the ~520 sketches received he favourite around 20 sketches

Standards at the BBC seem to be slipping then.