Carry On... Page 16

Carry On Up The Jungle is on ITV3 Easter Monday at 3:20pm and the first Steptoe and Son movie is on ITV3 tonight at 9 o'clock. :)
Yeah Camping is one of my favourites also and Terry Scott's wife with that crazy laugh of hers.

My 12 (as I can't name just 10!) favourite Carry On films are in order:

1) Behind
2) Camping
3) At Your Convenience
4) Doctor
5) Regardless
6) Constable
7) Abroad
8) Henry
9) Up the Jungle
10) Regardless
11) Spying
12) Dick

My least favourites are

Screaming
Don't Lose Your Head
and
Emmannuelle

That's the best thing, there's so many, everyone will have a different fav. I'm probably into the triple digits the amount of times I've seen Bab's bra fling off but yet it still makes me laugh everytime! Especially Hattie's dissapearing/reappearing head scarf :)

Quote: bubbles1505 @ April 9 2012, 10:46 PM BST

That's the best thing, there's so many, everyone will have a different fav. I'm probably into the triple digits the amount of times I've seen Bab's bra fling off but yet it still makes me laugh everytime! Especially Hattie's dissapearing/reappearing head scarf :)

Ah yes, I always laugh when I see Hattie's dissapearing head towel. It always makes me laugh, I just keep shouting at the TV: "KEEP IT ON, WOMAN!". Aha.

Quote: Jo Jonathan @ April 9 2012, 2:21 PM BST

Screaming
Don't Lose Your Head
and
Emmannuelle

I'm with you on Emmannuelle but:

Dan Dan the lavatory man.
"Frying Tonight!"
Huge scary neanderthals.
The Steptoe and Son theme tune.
Fenella Fielding.
The final line: "We've only got gas..."

What's not to love about Screaming?

Just to let all you Carry On fans know there is a new tribute website to this classic series of films called Sid's Place.

www.carryonsid.blogspot.co.uk

The site is still in its infancy but I managed to secure an interview with author, Carry On expert and all-round British comedy guru Robert Ross last week. This interview is now up at the site.

Cheers folks and carry on laughing!

In light of the success of the St. Trinian reboot would it be worth ressurecting the Carry Ons? I Know Carry On London was mooted for a long time, but that was on a hiding to nothing, Vinnie Jones, Shane Ritchie, Gawd Help us. But who could realistically do justice to the films, Julian Clary excepted. I was thinking of Brian Conley, Graham Norton? Arabella Weir, Johnny Vegas, Peter Kay, Lee Evans, Brendan O'Carroll, Paul O'Grady, Steve Delaney, Sheridan Smith and Bill Bailey. It would have to contain the Carry On spirit without attempting to replace the old cast like for like.

A couple of the casting choices aside, I was really excited for Carry On London. I heard reliably, in fact that most - maybe all? - of the sets had been built at one point, and were sat in storage at Pinewood awaiting filming to commence 'shortly'. Alas...

I think it foolish trying to name names as inevitably you get dragged into a like-for-like replication of various qualities of the original stars, and are too weighed down by existing comic personas. Some of the people you mention could make very interesting contributions however, assuming the right role was found.

But yes, I'd love to see a new film franchise very much in the Carry On vein, even if not using its name. British comedy - and British cinema - has long been crying out for such IMO, as the recent spate of box office hits attest.

Quote: Aaron @ September 19 2012, 10:42 PM BST

But yes, I'd love to see a new film franchise very much in the Carry On vein, even if not using its name. British comedy - and British cinema - has long been crying out for such IMO, as the recent spate of box office hits attest.

I think you would have to rethink the central roles. Obviously Sid James is ireplaceable etc. But you could I think reinvent it with a certain amount of subversive casting and without performing the atrocities of Carry on Columbus. Keep the spirit and keep it a low rating so that the innuendo could flourish and I think it could be done. I think the franchise name is to good to waste.

Quote: Pingl @ September 19 2012, 10:49 PM BST

I think you would have to rethink the central roles. Obviously Sid James is ireplaceable etc. But you could I think reinvent it with a certain amount of subversive casting

Yes, I agree entirely. In fact not just that you could; I think you'd have to do so or it really would be (seen as) little more than a pale imitation of the original Carry On series. But first of course, you need a great script to afford an ensemble cast ample opportunity to flourish...

I think finance would be possible if you secured the cast first. Scripting would be more difficult, there aren't many Talbot Rothwells about. Possibly Norman Hudis could act as a script doctor, given his age. Maybe the best idea would be to have a group of writers who are overseen by script editors of some experience. It would be a difficult task, but given the amount of goodwill a well thought out Carry On would engender, I think a profitable one.

I think I'd disagree there. The recent strength of British film may very well be enough to secure finance, for starters - and you will never get a cast for such a project before there's a script, or at very least a detailed plot outline, in place. A good producer might be able to attract a name or two to express keen interest, but I would question strongly whether they'd get enough people giving firm enough commitments for any studio to stump up the £millions required on names alone.

I don't know if the cast would be as expensive as you think, as few of them are bonifide film stars. I think if the main actors were invited to have some direct influence in a script, after a basic outline had been decided, it would help. This project would need a considerable development period. I think a contemporary rather than historical story would be a good place to start. As I say, it would not be easy, but then how easy a sell could St Trinian's have been, and we are now on the third. The flexibility of the franchise would be a great proposition. It would be a brave move by any studio, but they invest in more hare brained schemes.

I wasn't commenting at all on the cost of the names, but on how strong a proposition and selling point those names might be, without a script, to a potential financier.

It's a thinker. I wish someone had the balls to do it.

Agreed, but it is a criminal waste of a well established franchise. As you say let's hope someone picks up the baton.