Favourite On The Buses episodes

Mine is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIRmKNZf_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q1uHcGTK8k

The one where the bus was late.

Weren't they all the same?

I liked the episode 'Brew it Yourself' when Stan turns up to work drunk after drinking his home brew. :D Also liked the episode were Stan's bus with Mum, Olive and Arthur are on it and it gets stuck because of freezing fog. Laughing out loud

I have three: 'Foggy Night', 'Brew It Yourself' and 'New Uniforms'.

DING DING
Steve
ON THE BUSES fan club
web site; www.onthebusesfanclub.com/
Now in our 12th year
Nostalgia never goes out of fashion

Good choice Steve, but they're all good apart from when Stan and Arthur left, but some good ones in Series 7.

Foggy Night is my favourite. Haven't seen it in a while, but if I remember correctly the actress who played Mrs Creswell from OFAH Christmas special Jolly Boys Outing is one of the passengers on the bus.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ August 23 2012, 10:42 PM BST

Foggy Night is my favourite. Haven't seen it in a while, but if I remember correctly the actress who played Mrs Creswell from OFAH Christmas special Jolly Boys Outing is one of the passengers on the bus.

I've never seen "On The Buses". But I remember it being mentioned in another OFAH episode. "Go West Young Man". When Del & Rodney order drinks in a (gay) club:

WAITER: What do you want?
DEL: A Caribbean stallion, James Bond drank one in 'Live and Let Die'
WAITER: And for you Sir
RODNEY: Half a lager
WAITER: Reg Varney drank one of them in Holiday On the Buses.

One of the funniest lines in the first OFAH series if you ask me.
Can you recommend "On The Buses" to me?...I'm not from Britain and I'm (only) 35

On The Buses can be somewhat of an acquired taste. It's very laddish humour, and very 1970s Britain. If you want a crash-course in culture and industry at the time, it'll give you an interesting picture of the country. It was also incredibly popular - the movies were genuine smash hits, and rate highly when repeated on TV even now - but the series is generally much derided these days.

I've only seen it for the first time recently and was expecting to hate the show, but actually really enjoyed it. But then I do like those kind of cheap, gag-packed, innuendo-strewn sitcoms that everyone else seems to loathe these days.

What other shows do you like? It certainly doesn't have the depth and nuance of OFAH or Rising Damp.

Quote: Aaron @ August 25 2012, 12:14 AM BST

On The Buses can be somewhat of an acquired taste. It's very laddish humour, and very 1970s Britain.

I've only seen it for the first time recently and was expecting to hate the show, but actually really enjoyed it. But then I do like those kind of cheap, gag-packed, innuendo-strewn sitcoms that everyone else seems to loathe these days.

What other shows do you like? It certainly doesn't have the depth and nuance of OFAH or Rising Damp.

"cheap", "innuendo-strewn"...that does sound a bit like "Are You Being Served?" or the "Carry On.." stuff, with a bit of Benny Hill-sexism thrown in. I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by "laddish"...but it sounds like "cockney" language/bahaviour.
The whole thing doesn't sound as if its in my taste range. But I'm open to widen that range. Maybe I find some clips on YouTube.

I think a lot of older comedies take me back to the time I was watching them and I tend to gauge my appreciation of them, not only on their actual quality, but on the way their presence affected the people around me. For instance, I watched this with my parents and the effect on them was hilarious. Moreso because my family were cockney speaking. I see On the Buses and it immediately takes me back to my nan and grandad's top-floor flat in Streatham (where they finally ended up). The banter, the constant jibes at each other to raise a laugh...that's my family! They meant no harm...they just couldn't help themselves.

Again, this is one of those comedies that was written so well that both children and adults could relate to it on their own level and not feel cheated out of the humour.

Any episode where Olive asked, "Shall I take my nighty off, Arthur?", and Arthur cringed and tried to divert the situation, has my vote. Most of them I'd say!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 25 2012, 9:32 AM BST

"cheap", "innuendo-strewn"...that does sound a bit like "Are You Being Served?" or the "Carry On.." stuff, with a bit of Benny Hill-sexism thrown in. I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by "laddish"...but it sounds like "cockney" language/bahaviour.
The whole thing doesn't sound as if its in my taste range. But I'm open to widen that range. Maybe I find some clips on YouTube.

Laddish was perhaps the wrong term. What I was getting at was that it's quite male-centric with quite a bit of focus on chasing after gorgeous girls.

And yeah, Are You Being Served? is definitely in the same category as On The Buses.

Here's the first ever episode, in fact:

Wonderful episode. I actually laughed out loud several times.

Full of mistakes and stammers and all left in.

The L Bus and The one where the canteen is broke