Red Planet prize

http://www.redplanetpictures.co.uk/prize.php

Good find, think I'll have some of that...

There are quite a few threads about this, you might find some of the comments useful. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/17834/ :)

Brilliant. I'm in intersemester break at that point so I can continue writing the C4 entry that grew exponentially and enter that. Nice one blahblah.

The thing I was going to send.

Any Genre this time too, yay. I have a choice of sending one of two things. One is a drama that should be grittier than it actually is (but not making it grittier for the sake of it), and my main choice is sort of toeing a line between Drama and a black comedy. With a sort-of-but-not-quite element of fantasy.

Something else I was writing - Basically quite like the Fades. Minus the flesh eating reborn types.

Also, as it is currently on TV, it's worth mentioning that Death In Paradise was created by a Red Planet Prize finalist. He didn't win, and his entry was different from D.I.P. but he got pitching D.I.P. to Tony Jordan and that got made.

So worth cracking at afterwards even if you're not the outright winner!

Spoke to them and they said that as-if-for broadcast is fine, so only 50 pages needed :)

I love the feel of most or the RP output. Would love to succeed here so I need to get my finger out.

Was going to ask who else other than Robert Thorogood has made anything, then realised you meant the production co itself.

Yeah, they're good. I like Hustle.

Are people doing a more serious drama entry or are they all comedies? I'm thinkng of entering a drama but I don't know if it will stand up against more funnier pieces :/

I should think they're looking more for dramas. But that doesn't mean a good comedy script won't stand a chance.

I think a dramady or a coma would be better.

Mine's a drama, and the subject matter in hand is quite dark, but there's a few funny moments, and some funnier dialogue. I always like to slip 'funny' and sarcastic dialogue in.

I've found I'd never be able to write anything completely gritty. I can't go without putting something at least vaguely amusing in. Steve no do gritty. Jimmy McGovern's job is completely safe.

Still dithering on whether to go with what is the opening ep or something from the middle.

I have been researching past entries and criticism and the competition seems tough... :/

I don't know if this should be on critique but here's a line from my possible entry and I just want to check if you guys get it:

SADIE:
You can't just bash my phone against the floor! It's not your guitar and you're not Jimi Hendrix.

Does it need the Jimi Hendrix bit or does it still make sense without it?

Better with, I'd say.