4 Screenwriting - Channel 4 screenwriting course Page 6

Quote: KLRiley @ December 2 2011, 8:30 AM GMT

Never said it was Channel 4. However, I have faith in my story and will be hurtling out shortly to get on a train to take it to London.
What I do for my art....

I take it that was for Opening Lines? I didn't even go to the trouble of entering, never mind handing it in, in person!

I guess the 12 will hear back in the next week or two, hopefully.

Yup.Stupidly, the story has been sitting around for some time. I wrote it for another competition that I missed the deadline on. I just didn't realise that December follows 30th November quite so quickly. I am trying to make sure that I get my opus dei finished on time for the Red Planet prize.

I had this brilliant idea; the chancellor of the exchequer has to f**k a chicken or the Duke of Edinburgh will be executed.

Now I've rvealed my story I bet you are all super jealous.

Quote: sootyj @ December 6 2011, 4:16 PM GMT

I had this brilliant idea; the chancellor of the exchequer has to f**k a chicken or the Duke of Edinburgh will be executed.

Now I've rvealed my story I bet you are all super jealous.

And you co-wrote it with Konnie Huq.

According to the website: "The choice of the 12 writers for the course was a very difficult one but we have now contacted those 12 writers and if you haven't heard from us then you have not been short-listed for the 2012 course."

I haven't been contacted.

Nor me

Not a sausage.

Three thousand entries. F**k me.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 16 2011, 12:13 AM GMT

Not a sausage.

Three thousand entries. F**k me.

snigger snigger

Quote: KLRiley @ December 6 2011, 4:13 PM GMT

Yup.Stupidly, the story has been sitting around for some time. I wrote it for another competition that I missed the deadline on. I just didn't realise that December follows 30th November quite so quickly. I am trying to make sure that I get my opus dei finished on time for the Red Planet prize.

"Opus dei"? You're looking for a cult following, I take it?

oh well. I wasn't exactly holding my breath.

Only 3000 entries? Given that anyone on the world could enter I thought it might have been more than that! Still, being part of the unsuccessful 99.6% is okay, I guess...and for my next rejection I await the non-response from Red Planet! ;)

Quote: radiat10n @ December 16 2011, 12:42 PM GMT

Only 3000 entries?

The thing is it was only about 600 last year....

Did some research on the winners from last years 4screenwriting comp. Deirdre Alexander is a script editor from the BBC drama department and Natalie malla and xara Higgs are sitcom writers who have written for BBC and HBO previously. It's a shame there isn't more competitions and opportunities aimed at unsolicited writers with no experience In writing.

Quote: RPH89 @ December 21 2011, 5:28 PM GMT

Did some research on the winners from last years 4screenwriting comp. Deirdre Alexander is a script editor from the BBC drama department and Natalie malla and xara Higgs are sitcom writers who have written for BBC and HBO previously. It's a shame there isn't more competitions and opportunities aimed at unsolicited writers with no experience In writing.

But surely the fact that people with existing skills are entering means it's something worth winning.
Too many comps aimed at the 'amateur' are simply money making exercises or back-door script consultancies.
I don't normally bother with competitions - in the main they are pretty spurious.
This one was serious - they are genuinley after writers.
(Red Planet has a good record on this too - and I bet you'll get some 'insiders' entering that too).

I'd read that as what they'd achieved since winning! Sorry!!!