Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 21

I'll tell you what's not funny...

Quote: Alfred @ December 1 2011, 8:38 PM GMT

Generally I think when I said 'single-camera' style people wouldn't actually take it literally. I haven't narrowed down what I meant either, I always intended to say it for how it was meant, 'the single camera, reality-based, non laugh-track comedy' (which it certainly was the first of) I should have said?

You should have said exactly what you said there if that's what you meant. We're not mind-readers.

Quote: Alfred @ December 1 2011, 8:38 PM GMT

I just mentioned that Partridge thing again just to see what you may say on why it's an important show in the history of sitcom, it's not like I'm close-minded I'm just interested to see your take on it. But I haven't heard anything yet.

If it's high quality, if it's a classic, it's important. I'm not going to start basing what I personally think is and isn't a classic show on whether or not it stretches the boundries of what a sitcom can do, as that would be very dull and a little snobby.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 1 2011, 8:41 PM GMT

Sheesh.

It was quoted like that as I was responding to each point directly; ifthat's smart-aclec-y and childish then I certainly am.

It's quite childish saying you're stating a fact and you don't need to follow-up, not because you don't need to, but perhaps you're not well-versed enough in the history of sitcom..(neither am I).

and like going back and editing your reply to add 'buddy' in front of Larry Sanders. Interesting, childish perhaps?

And next time I will give the full meaning of the 'single-camera' style. I just thought more people would know about how influential Larry Sanders has been to modern comedy. Jeez.

Quote: Alfred @ December 1 2011, 8:48 PM GMT

And next time I will give the full meaning of the 'single-camera' style. I just thought more people would know about how influential Larry Sanders has been to modern comedy. Jeez.

Dear God man, people know, I know, I don't think anyone has said that Sanders ISN'T important, where are you getting that from?

It's quite childish saying you're stating a fact and you don't need to follow-up, not because you don't need to, but perhaps you're not well-versed enough in the history of sitcom..(neither am I).

I thought most people would realise other single camera sitcoms have existed; for some reason the first that jumps to mind is M.A.S.H.

It's not important!

Quote: rwayne @ December 1 2011, 8:50 PM GMT

It's not important!

:D

Britain: 'We may not be that great at comedy anymore, but we sure know how to argue about boring crap on the internet'.

and like going back and editing your reply to add 'buddy' in front of Larry Sanders. Interesting, childish perhaps?

You know what, you're name calling. When it degrades to this point it's best to just end the discussion.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 1 2011, 8:50 PM GMT

Dear God man, people know, I know, I don't think anyone has said that Sanders ISN'T important, where are you getting that from?

I thought most people would realise other single camera sitcoms have existed; for some reason the first that jumps to mind is M.A.S.H.

Chill out. You know what I'm chatting about when I'm talking about 'single-camera' style sitcoms now. Also I don't think it'd be dull and snobby if you start talking about sitcom conventions and what makes a good and a bad or seminal sitcom. That's what good comedy writers would do. Analyse and criticise and make better. Isn't this a comedy forum anyway.

Sorry for catching you out on the 'buddy' thing. I do believe you called me childish first so don't go on a hissy fit.

Yup, this totally is dull. But I have been totally level-headed. You're right anyway the show's not important. More 'The Cafe' please.

:)

Quote: Alfred @ December 1 2011, 9:05 PM GMT

Sorry for catching you out on the 'buddy' thing. I do believe you called me childish first so don't go on a hissy fit.

No, I didn't. And pointing it out isn't a 'hissy fit', as you feel the need to term it.

WAIT. Actually I did say it first, in reply to the unnecessary'pedantic' and 'smat alec' cracks. I then went back and edited the 'childish' bit out as I thought it was over the top, obviously you caught the post pre-edit. My humblest apologies.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 1 2011, 9:11 PM GMT

No, I didn't. And pointing it out isn't a hissy fit.

Owch. You've gone back and edited the reply that called me 'childish' as well for calling you pedantic. So you've edited saying 'your buddy Larry Sanders to me', there is proof you didn't say that to me in your reply originally (unedited) and then lied about it. I'm sad to say that that is wholly pathetic.

This thread is getting more boring by the second, and all I tried to do is talk about US comedy..

Oh dear. I hope you're getting a laugh out of this because I am :)

Quote: Alfred @ December 1 2011, 9:22 PM GMT

Owch. You've gone back and edited the reply that called me 'childish' as well for calling you pedantic. So you've edited saying 'your buddy Larry Sanders to me', there is proof you didn't say that to me in your reply originally (unedited) and then lied about it. I'm sad to say that that is wholly pathetic.

Maybe you should look again at my post above, in which I point out I actually did say it first. (If you notice, the edit of the offending post on the previous page was completed before your reply under it was posted, I wasn't trying to be sneaky, just tweak a post I felt was too harsh) But thanks for the 'liar' and 'pathetic' tags! You know I have feelings. I bleed. Teary

HEY GUYS HOW GREAT IS COMMUNITY I REALLY LIKE IT

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 1 2011, 9:11 PM GMT

No, I didn't. And pointing it out isn't a 'hissy fit', as you feel the need to term it.

WAIT. Actually I did say it first, in reply to the unnecessary'pedantic' and 'smat alec' cracks. I then went back and edited the 'childish' bit out as I thought it was over the top, obviously you caught the post pre-edit. My humblest apologies.

Ok good. That's settled then. Apologies for any confusion as well. Particularly the 'single-camera' segment, that must have been particularly boring for everyone. Yep, just read the post above. Sorry about the liar bit, but I obviously am going to think that if you've been editing your replies.

LTS is on soon so we can complain (or praise) it in that thread now. Hah.

Quote: Vince Ives @ December 1 2011, 9:26 PM GMT

HEY GUYS HOW GREAT IS COMMUNITY I REALLY LIKE IT

The internet is for arguing. I refuse to have a rational conversation with ANYONE on it.

Quote: Vince Ives @ December 1 2011, 11:40 AM GMT

With my mind still reeling in the wake of The Cafe, I'm close to proposing a 'Can the English still do comedy?' thread. I've tried every current homegrown suggestion that's come up on these boards and I can't find anything that holds my attention, let alone leaves me struggling to breathe the way Sunny, Parks & Rec and Community do.

I think the British do still make good comedy, its just that some TV commissioners wouldn't know a good (or bad) one if they tried. Maybe its because of how they source new projects. The US seems to be more receptive to new ideas whereas Brit TV relies more on someone's reputation and previous work, even if the result is a steaming pile of rubbish.

US networks will also pull something if its not getting the ratings, no matter who makes it. Imagine the Beeb taking 'Life's Too Short' off the air cos of low ratings (which incidentally have halved since episode 1). Never gonna happen. And the US has more networks, more channels and a bigger audience so more competition between them.