Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 17

Quote: Sal Paradise @ January 13 2009, 8:53 PM GMT

the American Office is a remake of a British show so it doesn't count really

Yes it does; plus it's vastly different. And better.

Christ no.

The Office is perfect; the US version merely excellent.

Quote: Mav42 @ January 13 2009, 9:27 PM GMT

Christ no.

The Office is perfect; the US version merely excellent.

The original is brilliant; but I do prefer the more overtly sitcom style of the Yanks version. Plus the American version has Dwight.

Frasier is good but with a cast of virtually all British actors is it really American comedy?

In which country was it produced? For which audience? With which setting, and which writers? Who produced it? What cultural references did it include?

100% American show.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2009, 12:49 PM GMT

Don't ever edit another one of my posts again.

Edited by Aaron.

This made me smile. Although I knew it was coming.

Frasier is good but with a cast of virtually all British actors is it really American comedy?

Edited by Aaron.

I think Frasier is a good example of a very well written & funny sitcom.
But the cast are predominantly American not British.
With the exception of Jane Leeves who plays Daphne.
You might also include Frasier's dad John Mahoney who was born in Blackpool but became an American citizen in his teens.

Brits for Brits, Yanks for Yanks.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ January 14 2009, 11:51 AM GMT

I think Frasier is a good example of a very well written & funny sitcom.
But the cast are predominantly American not British.
With the exception of Jane Leeves who plays Daphne.
You might also include Frasers dad John Mahoney who was born in Blackpool but became an american citizen in his teens.

I'm astounded that I had to wait until page 6 of this thread before seeing Frasier mentioned.
As far as sitcoms are concerned, Frasier answers the question - YES, Americans really can do comedy!

It surprised me the question was even asked in the first place. It's patently absurd to suggest Americans can't do comedy.

Then That 70s Show is a Ukrainian comedy.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2009, 12:33 PM GMT

It surprised me the question was even asked in the first place. It's patently absurd to suggest Americans can't do comedy.

Now that is a very very very very good point, and one very well made. Very.

I think Tina Fey is much funnier, on 30 Rock, when she's single and frustrated, rather than happy, with a boyfriend, like she was at the end of the first series.

This whole thread is a joke right? No one who considers themselves fans of comedy could possibly think that Americans can't do comedy let alone create sitcoms.

Quote: Curt @ January 15 2009, 10:01 AM GMT

This whole thread is a joke right? No one who considers themselves fans of comedy could possibly think that Americans can't do comedy let alone create sitcoms.

You are quite, quite right.

Quote: Curt @ January 15 2009, 10:01 AM GMT

Yup. By which I mean of course the Americans can do comedy.