Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 16

The Kids in The Hall told me they're coming to kick your arse.

Quote: zooo @ January 12 2009, 6:25 PM GMT

The Kids in The Hall told me they're coming to kick your arse.

Can't wait for their new shizz.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ January 12 2009, 6:19 PM GMT

Two And A Half Men is absolutely atrocious... the worst sort of American trash.

The only really good American sitcom that can compare to the best British ones is Seinfeld.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is great as well, but not a sitcom I suppose.

And FYI, Little Mosque On The Prairie is Canadian. Now Canadians, we REALLY can't do comedy... It's all the sort of stuff that would only appeal to sweet old ladies. I think it's just a case of the only shows Canadians have the opportunity to do are on CBC (national broadcasting) which goes out of its way to promote ridiculously clichéd "canadian content", rather than quality comedy. All the other channels just show American shows BTW.

Edited by Aaron.

I am Canadian and I like Corner Gas and Mosque. I also watched Robson Arms and enjoyed it. I am not a little old lady and think you are wrong in your evaluation. So there! :P

The only really good American sitcom that can compare to the best British ones is Seinfeld.

Nonsense. Arrested Development, Cheers, The Office, Frasier, 30 Rock and The Larry Sanders Show can all stand tall alongside the best British shows.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is great as well, but not a sitcom I suppose.

What is it then?

Office USA is the best sitcom at the moment, I would think. Nothing on our telly comes anywhere near to that. Not IT Crowd, Peep Show, Lead Balloon, not nothing. Not nowhere near. Not not not.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 13 2009, 11:21 AM GMT

Office USA is the best sitcom at the moment,

That and 30 Rock for me.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 13 2009, 11:21 AM GMT

That and 30 Rock for me.

Yes. Hopefully Five will pull their bleedin' fingers out and chop chop with Season 2 soon, before we lag too far behind. It was a big winner at the Golden Globes, so I see.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 13 2009, 11:23 AM GMT

Yes. Hopefully Five will pull their bleedin' fingers out and chop chop with Season 2 soon, before we lag too far behind. It was a big winner at the Golden Globes, so I see.

Is it on to, or nearly onto, series four over there? I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the DVDs on import; I've only managed to see up to half way through series two so far. I wish they would treat The Office better on ITV too. Dwight rules.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 13 2009, 11:26 AM GMT

Is it on to, or nearly onto, series four over there? I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the DVDs on import; I've only managed to see up to half way through series two so far. I wish they would treat The Office better on ITV too. Dwight rules.

Treat it better? What you mean, like, putting it on before 2 in the morning or whatever it is! Can't believe Office and Entourage get bumped so far down the schedules for the likes of Peter and Katie. Thank goodness for the recordable hard drive! They showed all of season 2 over Christmas, which was great as I hadn't seen it before.

Compared to 30 Rock, The American Office has been treated like royalty. It's both been shown on an easily accessible channel (albeit post-midnight) and been released on DVD. Poor old 30 Rock seems to have been forgotten about by both the channels and the people who release DVDs.

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 13 2009, 11:30 AM GMT

Treat it better? What you mean, like, putting it on before 2 in the morning or whatever it is! Can't believe Office and Entourage get bumped so far down the schedules for the likes of Peter and Katie. Thank goodness for the recordable hard drive! They showed all of season 2 over Christmas, which was great as I hadn't seen it before.

I've seen up to the first few of series four of The Office; great stuff. Entourage is also really good.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2009, 11:38 AM GMT

Compared to 30 Rock, The American Office has been treated like royalty. It's both been shown on an easily accessible channel (albeit post-midnight) and been released on DVD. Poor old 30 Rock seems to have been forgotten about by both the channels and the people who release DVDs.

Series one is out on DVD; I'm sure, if Five ever get around to showing it, that 2 will creep out this year. Maybe.

Yes.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3305133/30-Rock-Season-1/Product.html]
[h=758594]

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2009, 11:38 AM GMT

Edited by Aaron.

Don't ever edit another one of my posts again.

Edited by Aaron.

People seem to like 30 Rock here.

Oh well. That means I'll probably hate it.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2009, 11:13 AM GMT

Nonsense. Arrested Development, Cheers, The Office, Frasier, 30 Rock and The Larry Sanders Show can all stand tall alongside the best British shows.

What is it then?

Arrested Development I forgot, though it is massively overrated, still a good show. cheers sucked, the American Office is a remake of a British show so it doesn't count really, Frasier is good but with a cast of virtually all British actors is it really American comedy?

Edited by Aaron.