Fresh Meat - Series 1 Page 6

I really liked the first two episodes (all I've watched so far). The Scottish guy is my favourite character but the Inbetweeners bloke, the Gavin & Stacey clone, Whitehall and the girl that looks like Jessica Hynes' daughter are not far behind.

I was actually quite surprised with how much I liked this. I like Whitehall as a stand up but wasn't so sure he would be any good in a comedy series. Thankfully he plays it well.
It still feels like they are all finding their feet but it did make me laugh in a few places.
Though, in reality I probably like it as it reminds me of my days as a student in Manchester.

Quote: Kidda @ October 8 2011, 3:53 PM BST

I was actually quite surprised with how much I liked this. I like Whitehall as a stand up but wasn't so sure he would be any good in a comedy series. Thankfully he plays it well.
It still feels like they are all finding their feet but it did make me laugh in a few places.
Though, in reality I probably like it as it reminds me of my days as a student in Manchester.

Ha! It genuinely reminds me of my days as a student in Portsmouth so it crosses (county) boundaries.

Really enjoying this now, and Whitehall's character is very good, as is he himself.

It's pretty good. It's raved about way too much, though. And some of the characters are too unlikeable. Oregon, in particular.

Oh no! We've fallen down a comedy drama well and no one knows how to get out!

Uhm. Well episodes three and four were decent. By episode four it actually felt quite like a proper show, not just... oh I don't know. Maybe they should have moved the virginity plot line up to episode two? Or would we not have cared yet? It's fallen into a groove, so we'll see what the next weeks bring. But Josie is all kinds of awkward and I don't know how to handle it.

Quote: Jane Allen @ October 15 2011, 2:44 AM BST

But Josie is all kinds of awkward and I don't know how to handle it.

Do you mean you don't know if you like her or not?

Yeah, this latest episode (the fourth) felt much better. First fifteen minutes in particular very enjoyable and it was easier to care about the characters than before.

JP and Howard were a much better team for comedy effect.

Dan

Yeah I think I just find her the least interesting character

I think Vod might be my hero or something.
That spikey hat was awesome. If they remake Tank Girl in the near future, she needs to be her.

Eh?

After watching all 5 eps so far, this has to be one of the worst comedies I've ever seen. Nothing believable, no realism, everyone talks like it's The Office. There are hundreds of things that actually happen to students that are funny, without shoe-horning ridiculous storylines into it. The characters are all wrong, and they do things that the character wouldn't do.

Kingsley character- changing from Geology to Drama. No way.

Josie- has a boyfriend and is sensible, yet sleeps with anyone. No way.

Vod- Boring boring boring, such a bad performance. The actress does nothing with role.

It's all very embarrassing. Isn't it?

I really like the acting, and the dialogue, but find it excruciating that they seem to have let a twelve year old pick the stories. Money on the one who's shagging the tutor getting bad grades, and someone having a pregnancy scare.

I love Vod's character. I think it's a pretty good show.
Why does it have to be painfully realistic?

I think all the characters make sense, and the more I watch it the more I think it works. I do agree with you about Josie though. I don't understand her character at all, nor whether we are supposed to like her or not. I think she's a complete idiot with no redeeming features, and yet it seems like she is the 'main character' with whom we're supposed to identify. Odd.

Quote: alienep @ October 20 2011, 1:01 PM BST

Eh?

After watching all 5 eps so far, this has to be one of the worst comedies I've ever seen. Nothiing believable, no realism

Since when has realism been a pre-requisite of comedy? The only thing a comedy has to be is real to the world and the characters it sets up.

Quote: alienep @ October 20 2011, 1:01 PM BST

*It's all very embarrassing. Isn't it?

No, why would it be?

Fresh Meat is ok, but I have a strong suspicion I wouldn't watch it at all if I had something better to do with my time, such as a job. Quite clearly the cast are all sitcom characters, don't understand any of the praise for realism. Any chance a sitcom soon could have someone likeable as a main character?