THE SITCOM TRIALS - October 21st 2011 Manchester Page 19

Quote: Kev F @ October 9 2011, 8:28 PM BST

if I discount Marc P's two-votes-only votes

I reviewed those two (ish) and offered to review every other script but I was told it was to late. But I did give everyone else a maybe, including yours. And I hope you take into account what constitutes a review in the judging ... because a lot of the No's just seem to NO's. Fair play is the way! :)

It's a weird system for a competition which is obviously open to abuse and makes it awkward for a competitor to judge anothers script negatively as it could cause a likewise review out of spite.
However, it does also provide a wide range of feedback. Despite coming very near the bottom many of the reviews of my script were positive about the writing and the ideas just obviously it wasn't a true sitcom idea and was too short for the competition.
Anyhoo, I've just got to crack on. At least now I can concentrate on the league (or the Sitcom Mission or my sci-fi script.)

Quote: sean knight @ October 10 2011, 12:08 AM BST

It's a weird system for a competition which is obviously open to abuse and makes it awkward for a competitor to judge anothers script negatively as it could cause a likewise review out of spite.
However, it does also provide a wide range of feedback. Despite coming very near the bottom many of the reviews of my script were positive about the writing and the ideas just obviously it wasn't a true sitcom idea and was too short for the competition.
Anyhoo, I've just got to crack on. At least now I can concentrate on the league (or the Sitcom Mission or my sci-fi script.)

Fair play to you Sean, and if you post the script into critique here, you may get a more comprehensive take on it than the twitter review on this thread - where for obvious reasons people don't go too into depth because of time and number of entries. Best go for the longer Mission style script though.

Well it might have been a relatively small comp in terms of entrants but it was one hell of a roller-coaster ride, throughout. Well done Kev for driving it onward and well done all for sticking to the task.

May the snow leopard avoid your doorstep. Errr ;)

Maybe fllm the performances Kev. A couple or three cameras, the technology is there now cheaply enough. A couple of people with an iphone either side going in close and someone doing a wide from the back?

Quote: evertsen @ October 10 2011, 7:57 AM BST

Well it might have been a relatively small comp in terms of entrants but it was one hell of a roller-coaster ride, throughout. Well done Kev for driving it onward and well done all for sticking to the task.

May the snow leopard avoid your doorstep. Errr ;)

Yep, thanks Kev. And to reiterate Marc P's comments about the critique forum, I got some very useful feedback from AJGO after posting the first draft of "As Plain as Day"--feedback which led to a much stronger second draft. So, big thanks to AJGO, and well done to everyone who finished a script and entered the competition.

Thanks to everyone for looking at and providing feedback on my script. It was my 1st script written, so I was glad to get the critique on it.

Congrats to all the finalists. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the scripts.

Kev: Will all five scripts be performed, or are they going to choose a few from the top five?

congrats to the top five and also everyone who entered a script and thanks to everyone who took time to read all the scripts and supply a review

It seems chosing a title beginning with 'W' was probably a bad decision. It appears that many voters didn't even get as far as reading the Wednesday-Thursday club because it was at the bottom of a very long list of quality scripts!

Am I wrong?

Anyway - lesson learnt!

Good luck with the show y'all!

Quote: evan rubivellian @ October 10 2011, 10:58 AM BST

Kev: Will all five scripts be performed, or are they going to choose a few from the top five?

The plan would be that the Manchester team perform all 5 scripts chosen.

Kev F

Bart - I liked the wed thur club. some really good lines in there.

Is anyone started working on anything for the bbc? I read in this thread they are happily hunting for some pilots. Also any one working on anything for the Jan sitcom thingamedo-hick?

I ask cos I have started something now and would very much like some friendly and not too scathing comments if anyone feels willing :) Of course I would be very happy to return the favour :)

The general thrust of the constructive criticism I received was that I was far to sketchy ( not the first time I been told that) and it was just gaga after gag so I am aware of that and trying to be more character based in my new work.

Anyway anyone feeling like a free and frank exchange of opinion please let me know :)

Quote: WeeMan @ October 12 2011, 2:16 AM BST

Bart - I liked the wed thur club. some really good lines in there.

Is anyone started working on anything for the bbc? I read in this thread they are happily hunting for some pilots. Also any one working on anything for the Jan sitcom thingamedo-hick?

I ask cos I have started something now and would very much like some friendly and not too scathing comments if anyone feels willing :) Of course I would be very happy to return the favour :)

The general thrust of the constructive criticism I received was that I was far to sketchy ( not the first time I been told that) and it was just gaga after gag so I am aware of that and trying to be more character based in my new work.

Anyway anyone feeling like a free and frank exchange of opinion please let me know :)

you can post your work on the critique forum to get feedback

yeah I seen that now cedar. thank you.

I will finish what I have and stick it on there and see what the consensus is. :)

A quick reminder everyone that The Sitcom Trials to which we have all been building up on this thread and elsewhere takes place this coming Friday in Manchester.

Also the winning sitcom from July's Manchester Sitcom Trials, Checkpoint Dave by Vince Stadon, is being performed in full at the Lass O'Gowrie on Thurs 20th and Fri 21st Oct at 5.45pm.Tickets £2.50