THE SITCOM TRIALS - October 21st 2011 Manchester Page 20

Quote: Kev F @ October 15 2011, 8:23 AM BST

Also the winning sitcom from July's Manchester Sitcom Trials, Checkpoint Dave by Vince Stadon, is being performed in full at the Lass O'Gowrie on Thurs 20th and Fri 21st Oct at 5.45pm.Tickets £2.50

... which now has a little poster and a blurb:

Checkpoint Dave
by Vince Stadon

Their backs are against the wall!

In a Berlin checkpoint ignored by history, a dysfunctional trio of British Intelligence Officers have one night to secure a prestigious enemy defection, prevent the imminent closure of their operation, and safeguard their impressively stocked stationery cupboard.

A tale of espionage, counter-espionage, romance and neatly sharpened pencils, Checkpoint Dave, a one act play for the Manchester Comedy Festival, is based on the winning entry for the Sitcom Trials.

Cool poster! Break a leg, darlings!

Btw: how many actors are going to be in this full-length version?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ October 15 2011, 12:42 PM BST

Cool poster! Break a leg, darlings!

Btw: how many actors are going to be in this full-length version?

Cheers, Evan.

There are four actors in this version, plus fifteen pencils, a hip flask, two guns, and a song by Nancy Sinatra.

I've just received an email about The Sitcom Trials which begins "I only stumbled across this from a brief remark on "The One Show" [BBC 1, Friday Oct 14] about the current competition, which I realise has already been closed for entries."

The One Show? Did the Sitcom Trials get mentioned on The One Show? By whom? I must know more!

Sitcom Trials, Manchester Friday Oct 21st, only £3

You can watch the episode here on BBC iPlayer:

http://alturl.com/oxmq2

I've just watched Friday's One Show all the way through cos someone said they heard a mention of The Sitcom Trials on it. Nowt!

I know a lot about Pablo Picasso and barn owls though, and I'm looking forward to supporting Wales in the rugby tomorrow.

Maybe it was a previous episode?

There is a tenious link when it is mentioned that Bill Bailey is/was appearing at Bury. Perhaps googling from this the Manchester Comedy Festival came up and further searching revealed the Sitcom Trials, which is also a feature of the festival.

Wherever that news item about Friday's forthcoming Sitcom Trials appeared, no-one seems able to trace it. We have found this though, a preview of highlights from the Manchester Comedy Festival, which says:

"Checkpoint Dave has developed the slot that made him a winner at The Sitcom Trials at Lassfest in July (supported by Baby Cow Productions) into a 45-minute script, which will be debuted at the pub on October 20."

To be honest I wasn't aware that we were supported by Baby Cow, though Gill Isles from BC came to the last show and may well be at this one. As I hope will you all.

The Sitcom Trials, Oct 21, £3

Steps have the number one album. How exactly is this connected to The Sitcom Trials? Read this and find out.

I know. What were the chances?

Hey Kev I don't know about Steps but I just got another email from you about Mindy the USA sitcom guru and her amazing online course. And after the last farago I am a little surprised. What is this nonsense indeed! ;)

Quote: Marc P @ October 18 2011, 10:02 PM BST

Hey Kev I don't know about Steps but I just got another email from you about Mindy the USA sitcom guru and her amazing online course. And after the last farago I am a little surprised. What is this nonsense indeed! ;)

That's a post on the Sits Vac forum. Just like any post on this forum it comes from a member. With all that could entail.

Kev F

Quote: Kev F @ October 18 2011, 11:47 PM BST

That's a post on the Sits Vac forum. Just like any post on this forum it comes from a member. With all that could entail.

Kev F

Fair play. Still is hilarious copy :)

Quote: Marc P @ October 18 2011, 10:02 PM BST

Rolling eyes

Hi Kev. I see the last Sitcom Trials night has some footage on YouTube. Any chance that this friday's will be filmed as well?