Last of the Summer Wine - Stephen Lewis

Hi all

My first post on this wonderful forum. Don't mind my (Belgian) English Errr

I'm a big fan of Stephen Lewis (his acting). I just learned that he was a regular cast member in LOTSW, more specifically in Series 12 up to and including 28.
Since there are so many series of LOTSW and I couldn't afford to buy all series, I'm considering buying only Series 12-28.

However, I was wondering if one can 'jump in' the series midway without having seen all the previous eleven series? Do I need the 'background' to understand everything, or are the episodes somewhat 'stand-alone'?

Thank you kindly for any opinions/insight.

Frederick

You can jump in anywhere. Stephen Lewis's character is called Smiler, and it's a bit of a small role, though he is a regular. The show is about three old men who are retired and wander around the countryside chatting and getting into scrapes.

Thank you very much indeed, Dave, for your reply. Sounds like a very relaxing sitcom, with one of my favourite sitcom actors.
All I have to do now is put a bit of money on the side for all those 18 series :S (and convince my wife I really need them :P)

I thought he was very good in Oh Doctor Beeching!. Also liked him in One Foot in the Grave.

Yes indeed, he was superb in Oh Doctor Beeching!.
I understand that he appeared only in one episode of OFITG. Or did I get that wrong?

Quote: Frederick @ August 18 2011, 8:00 AM BST

Yes indeed, he was superb in Oh Doctor Beeching!.
I understand that he appeared only in one episode of OFITG. Or did I get that wrong?

Yes, only one. He was very good in that too. Partly due to David Renwick's great writing and characterisation.

Have you seen Don't Drink The Water? You get lots of Blakey for your money in that. At the risk of repeating myself, I thought that was a good show too. Very similar in style to On The Buses. Blakey shines!

Quote: Steve Charlie @ August 18 2011, 11:30 AM BST

Yes, only one. He was very good in that too. Partly due to David Renwick's great writing and characterisation.

Have you seen Don't Drink The Water? You get lots of Blakey for your money in that. At the risk of repeating myself, I thought that was a good show too. Very similar in style to On The Buses. Blakey shines!

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. I have indeed been tempted to buy the series, but the negative reviews here have made me somewhat apprehensive. I read that Blakey's sister's moaning throughout the series really takes away much of its appeal.

But since you enjoyed it, maybe I should consider it anyway. How is the writing in it? Was there inspiration left after On The Buses?

He's a very funny actor. I think Smiler was one of his funniest characters - and of course Blakey.

Quote: Frederick @ August 17 2011, 3:51 PM BST

However, I was wondering if one can 'jump in' the series midway without having seen all the previous eleven series? Do I need the 'background' to understand everything, or are the episodes somewhat 'stand-alone'?

As noted, it's not a series with a particularly strong narrative; you can dip in more or less at any point and pick it up reasonably well. However, you may get more from the show if you start from the beginning, and it's worth noting that the early series are generally considered by fans to be far superior.

Quote: Frederick @ August 18 2011, 1:00 PM BST

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. I have indeed been tempted to buy the series, but the negative reviews here have made me somewhat apprehensive. I read that Blakey's sister's moaning throughout the series really takes away much of its appeal.

But since you enjoyed it, maybe I should consider it anyway. How is the writing in it? Was there inspiration left after On The Buses?

Yeah, I heard people comment that DDTW was awful, so I was quite surprised when I found it to be good. It probably equates with On The Buses in terms of quality and style. If anything I'd say DDTW is actually better. It can be corny and obviously contrived at times - like On The Buses - but I just accept that as the style, not a flaw. Like I said, I think the writing is probably better than on the buses.

I thought his sister was very good and liked her as a comic actor. The sister moaning didn't bother me - I thought it was quite funny. And Blakey does his share of moaning too.

It was well worth them making it. Blakey is given centre stage, so you get more out of his character. His sister's character is also very good (both character and actor). There's a lot of internal and external conflict seeing as they want to go home as soon as they get there, and they struggle with the culture shock.

The only thing is it is a bit dated. But that personally doesn't bother me. As long as you're not expecting anything too sophisticated you should enjoy both series.

A memorable moment for me was Blakey having trouble with his bath because where you sat down was on the plug which upset him. It was either that or having the taps sticking in his back.

Quote: Aaron @ August 20 2011, 2:29 AM BST

it's worth noting that the early series are generally considered by fans to be far superior.

Have to say I'm a Foggy Dewhurst fan.

Thank you all. Your opinions are much appreciated.
Seems like I'll have to get Don't Drink the Water anyway ànd get the complete series of Last of the Summer Wine... My wife'll kill me :S ;)

But you'll die laughing!

Quote: Aaron @ August 21 2011, 8:38 PM BST

But you'll die laughing!

:D
The power of positive thinking ;)

One last thing regarding 'Don't Drink the Water'. Network has released the complete series of this, right? I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether subtitles are available?
(as a non-native speaker of English they help me get the most out of the sitcoms)

Thanks