Radio Sketch Project Page 3

It's been said before I think that catchphrases often happen by accident. It maybe needs a theme for each episode.

Without planning too muchI think we just get the sketches in and then select what goes where maybe thematically.

Seems like a good plan. I haven't got much experience of radio comedy but I'd like to have a go at writing radio sketches. My only question would be who decides on which are worthy of production? Although I'm all for the idea of everyone chipping in I think a group effort would be a lot harder to organise. Perhaps we need to decide on a couple of sketch 'judges' and also some script editor/advisors? I'm guessing we'd need lots of material, and that many submissions will be a bit rough around the edges and could be improved with help from others.

Personally I think it makes it tougher to stick to a theme, but think it's a good plan if we submit stuff and group sketches together as David suggested.

Coolio. So the general consensus is that we leave thoughts of themes and links and strands till later and for now we just compile sketches, which sounds alright to me.

A good idea to compile a little batch of sketches first, as I think youll find some just flow automatically into others, that some will just sit better next to each other and, if a theme is wanted, it may begin to suggest itself naturally just from having a look at what is submitted. As for asking exactly what type of sketch to write, i think its best to not be too restrictive, as a good mix of structures in an episode will be more interesting, rather than all short catchphrase things, or all long, clever satirical things.

Wow - this is getting bigger than I envisaged.

Obviously it's a different discipline to TV sketches so I don't want anyone to think I was hi-jacking their ideas.

I'll have to get my thinking head on.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 26, 2007, 8:18 PM

So that looks like - Steve, Blenkinsop, Baumski, Splodge, Fred, Michael, Roscoff, Charley, Zooo, Martin, Lee, Matthew, Nuts, Jude, Jo and me.

Have I missed anyone?

PM me if you don't have my email address.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 27, 2007, 12:23 AM

It's been said before I think that catchphrases often happen by accident. It maybe needs a theme for each episode.

Oh definitely. I think it can be good if say a catchphrase is spawned just from a funny line that you weren't intending to be a catchphrase, but then I wouldn't want to do that same sketch again every week with the same catchphrase. Like say "Thanks ants, Thants" from Look Around You, it was only said once but it's basically turned into a catchphrase that fans of the show quote. As long as the catchphrase isn't always the main 'joke' of the sketch then it's fine I think, as a fan of Arrested Development I can hardly knock catchphrases totally.

'Ah but where did the lighter-fluid come from?!"

Quote: David Chapman @ December 27, 2007, 4:15 PM

Have I missed anyone?

PM me if you don't have my email address.

Just me David, but you've got me on your list! ;)

Oh yes - sorry Ellie.

If you want any help administrating then i'm happy to. You should also probably sort out now how you feel about rewrites especially if you are going to structure or theme the show.

So come on then. Offer me your entries.

You can PM me if you want.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 30, 2007, 2:27 PM

So come on then. Offer me your entries.

*Bends over*

I'M STILL WAITING!

I've PMed you.