Isn't that thingy?

Watching old comedy DVDs you spot comedians starting out in their careers.

I recently noticed Andy Parsons (WITH HAIR!!!) deliver one line in an episode of The Detectives with Jasper Carrott.

And Ben Miller of Armstrong & Miller delivers one line in an episode of French and Saunders.

Who have you spotted recently?

Ben Miller was also in Paul Merton's series quite a bit.

Mark Steel was also in The Detectives fairly frequently.

Half of you will probably object to thinking of him as a comedian, but it was really weird seeing a clip of a really old Teachers ep recently and seeing James Corden as a school boy. I forgot that's where I first saw him.

Quote: Griff @ May 1 2011, 7:26 PM BST

Watched The Office again recently after not seeing it for ages, and spotted Robin Ince as one of the candidates who turns up for a job at Wernham Hogg. I knew Ince and Gervais worked together (didn't Ince support Gervais on tour at one point?) but I don't think I'd noticed him in the series.

There's quite a few of (then relatively-unknowns) cameos in The Office though, aren't there? Olivia Colman for one (as the paper industry journo in the last episode of series 2). Matthew Holness is a more obvious one. Then there's Bruce Mackinnon (he of Big Top and other, better programmes) as one of Gareth's mates in the Comic Relief Day episode.

What was Ricky in once... Spaced?

Danny Wallace was in episode 1.2 of The IT Crowd in a non-speaking role.

Quote: TopBanana @ May 1 2011, 8:13 PM BST

Danny Wallace was in episode 1.2 of The IT Crowd in a non-speaking role.

It's the part he was born to play!

Yep.

I seem to remember he did a killer thumbs up though.

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2011, 8:04 PM BST

What was Ricky in once... Spaced?

Was he in Black Books?

He was in summink!

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 1 2011, 8:32 PM BST

Was he in Black Books?

Everyone was in Black Books at some point. Probably even you, Steve.

No it was Spaced.
You're quite right.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 8:34 PM BST

Everyone was in Black Books at some point. Probably even you, Steve.

Laughing out loud

Woo!