Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 44

I just watched the christmas special, it was funny but I did not think
the plot was that good.

The parlour game spoilt it for me, went on far too long for a few decent gags.

Wotcha

A few things thought I best add...

To whoever posted it a few pages ago, when the announcer said it will return in the new year - no the new series will definitely not be then! That would be a tad too tight a turnaround for my liking. No dates set in stone yet, I gather, but I'd day the same time next year is a safe bet...

I think the Christmas special should have been longer - many others get 40min (or even an hour for some) and for some reason the beeb only gave us 30min. I think it would have really benefitted from that extra 10 minutes. As it was there was a lot to fit in, and a lot of really nice bits were cut, either from the recording or from the script before that. Not just some good jokes, but some bits that I reckon filled out the plot a little more, and gave some of the characters a bit more to them. Ah well, maybe next year...

The recordings - it now seems the done thing to record every scene twice. Not just with Not Going Out, but with some other sitcoms I've been to. I saw - back in the day - The Brittas Empire, Fist of Fun, and The Lenny Henry Show being recorded, and granted, Brittas is the only sitcom in that lot, but they only re-recorded the bits they needed to. Nowadays it seems par for the course to do everything twice, which makes for a long night, and an even longer one with costume changes or difficult scenes. My great aunt and great uncle only revealed lately that they say Fawlty Towers and the Monty Python episode with The Spanish Inquisition being recorded, and they said both of those went straight through - one record per scene, except occasional pick-ups. All done and dusted in an hour and a half. And not too long before that, Cook & Moore's stuff went out live of course...

Tim & Daisy - pure coincidence that their names match those in Spaced. There is a reason Daisy's called Daisy, but I best not reveal it here (ooh, enigmatic). Get me pissed at a gig and I'll probably tell you then.

Lastly, thanks for the comments - good and bad - nice to know it's getting something right, and nice to know people seem to care enough about it to have opinions about what would improve it! Roll on series 3...

Oh, and here's a thing - I wrote the 'f**k off' line and Miranda Hart said it, and we're both quite religious, so if you hear anyone moaning about this as the dumbing down of the BBC at Christmas, it's nice to know that it's the Christians who were behind it...

And very lastly, a merry Christmas to one and all!

Love Not Going Out but i think the storyline in the xmas special was boring. After 5 minutes the gags had dried out. Also , Daisy and the cleaner are both annoying , surely you only need one token thicko?

Have to admit the joke about Thora Hird was a particular low point. I could understand the joke if it had been done when she was on all the time doing the stair lift adverts, but she died a few years ago. What next, jokes about Rod Hull and a TV aerial Rolling eyes

thanks for the fill in Krenz.

Quote: Krenz @ December 23, 2007, 6:41 PM

Tim & Daisy - pure coincidence that their names match those in Spaced. There is a reason Daisy's called Daisy, but I best not reveal it here (ooh, enigmatic). Get me pissed at a gig and I'll probably tell you then.

Oooh! Intriguing!

Oh, and here's a thing - I wrote the 'f**k off' line and Miranda Hart said it, and we're both quite religious, so if you hear anyone moaning about this as the dumbing down of the BBC at Christmas, it's nice to know that it's the Christians who were behind it...

Fantastic. One of my favourite lines. :)
I love knowing who wrote individual jokes.

I agree taht the episode should have been longer. I agree that it wasn't NGO at its best, but it was still great fun to watch! I also agree that Tim needs to be in the show a lot more! I belive that he will be in the show more in series 3 and that it will be the best series yet. :)

The series needs to be the Lee and Tim double act show. Their bits are always, always ace.

'Oh, and here's a thing - I wrote the 'f**k off' line and Miranda Hart said it, and we're both quite religious, so if you hear anyone moaning about this as the dumbing down of the BBC at Christmas, it's nice to know that it's the Christians who were behind it...'

Well Krenz, I'm a Christian too and I though that line was fuc*ing hilarious.....

Stan

It just worked so perfectly and simply.

Quote: Krenz @ December 23, 2007, 6:41 PM

Oh, and here's a thing - I wrote the 'f**k off' line and Miranda Hart said it...

I was VERY glad to see it broadcast. If I remember rightly, she was made to record it a second time, as "piss off", which I felt didn't work at all. Good to see the better version got through the editing suite.

Great to find this site and in particular much discussion of "Not Going Out" Wave I've been a fan of the show (and Lee) since series 1.

Enjoyed the Christmas special on Friday, tend to agree with some of the criticisms already posted, but it did keep me laughing which ain't a bad thing. From the sound of it there was plenty more material that had to be cut and I'd hope that this show gets a longer timeslot in any future specials.

Also wanted to say thanks for the input from the writers on here :)

I was convinced the "fck off" would get a bleep... In fact I put it in as a joke, didn't think it would get past Lee, then when I thought it'll never get past the first read, and then that it'd never reach the recording, and then that it would certainly be bleeped... So I was shocked too. And a little uncomfortable with my girlfriend's parents. Of course I told them that someone else wrote that one...

Quote: Aaron @ December 22, 2007, 10:15 PM

Just FYI, Paramount 2 will be showing Not Going Out (I assume starting with series one) from Friday 8th February 2008.

Royalties!